Children of World War II stories wanted for book

  • Tracy Quinn McLennan
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2001
      Hello, everyone.

      I would like to invite the members of this community to participate in a
      book project I am writing.

      We are looking for world-wide participants for a collection entitled When
      We Were Young: Children of World War II by Elizabeth Dole and Tracy Quinn
      McLennan to be published by William Morrow and Company.

      Much has been written about the experiences of our servicemen and women, as
      well as family and friends left at home, during World War II, but little
      has been said about what it was like growing up during this crucial time in
      world history. When We Were Young: Children of World War II is a
      collection of interviews and recollections with people throughout the
      world, both Allied and Axis countries, describing their childhood during
      the war. Each person will have a chapter dedicated to their story.

      We hope to find participants who can recall or had direct experience with
      such subjects and events as: internment camps in the United States,
      survivors of the bombing of Hiroshima, D-Day, VE-Day, the Blitz, Pearl
      Harbor, "Kristallnacht," living under enemy occupation, evacuation,
      Holocaust survivors, children in hiding, for example.

      Through diaries, letters, and recollections (written as a child or now as
      an adult), readers of When We Were Young will get a fascinating first-hand
      look at youth living during World War II. What was it like to have fathers
      or brothers who went off to war and mothers or sisters who became nurses or
      worked at factories? How did children survive hardships like trolling the
      streets for food or scrap metal for the war effort? How did they endure
      even more dramatic experiences such as hiding from the enemy or surviving a
      concentration camp? What was it like growing up during wartime, and how
      does this experience shape adulthood?

      If you were born between 1922-1939, or know someone who was and would like
      to participate in this important project, please email me at
      tquinnmclennan@... at your earliest convenience. Please give me
      your full contact information, nationality, a brief description of your
      life during the war, and why your unique experience needs to be told.

      You can also send your recollections and memories to us at the below
      address. And, of course, if you have any questions about the book, please
      don't hesitate to contact me. Email, fax, and postal mail are all fine.

      All participants whose stories are included in the book will receive a copy
      of the book upon publication.

      Elizabeth Dole is the former head of the American Red Cross and former
      Secretary of Labor. She is married to Senator Bob Dole. Tracy Quinn
      McLennan is a writer, editor, and researcher.

      We look forward to hearing from you soon!

      Sincerely,
      Tracy Quinn McLennan

      Adler & Robin Books, Inc.
      3000 Connecticut Avenue, N.W., Suite 317
      Washington, D.C. 20008, U.S.A.
      202-986-9275
      Fax: 425-699-2419
      tquinnmclennan@...