Re: [S-R] Location in New Jersey??

  • Bill McLean
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2001
      My grandparents were married there in 1919-20 and my parents in 1950. I
      grew up in that church. It is on First St in Passaic. If my memory serves
      me Hibernia was a section of Passaic. Most of the parishoners were
      originally in the 1st, 2nd 3rd St area and like my relatives were from the
      Snakov and Svednick area near the border with current Poland. It still
      holds the early Sunday Liturgy in Slovack. I know Hibernia is not a
      municipality in Passaic County. I will give my Aunt Helen (85yo) a call
      next week to confirm. My cousin will be able to get info from the church
      (she is newly intrigued with this stuff) Have you tried the 1920 Soundex
      for Passaic City?
      Bill McLean
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2001
        From: Bill McLean <wmcl@...>

        >It still
        >holds the early Sunday Liturgy in Slovack.
        >Bill McLean

        Hello Bill,
        Byzantine Catholic churches in the United States do not now, nor have they
        ever, used the Slovak language in their services.

        Surely you mean Church Slavonic ("Old Slavonic"), which is not Slovak. Nor
        are most of the parishioners of St. Michael's Slovak.

        My family came from near Svidnik too and were among the early Rusyn settlers
        of greater Passaic. One of my relatives was the first woman married at St.
        Michael's in 1890.

        Rich Custer