LDS microfilm: Hungary

  • Diana518@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2001
      Let me see if I understand...If I go to the LDS library, the Hungarian
      Church microfilm will have information on where the Szemanszki family
      came from when they entered Szendro back in the mid 1800's? I don't
      read any eastern European languages. (My Latin, Spanish, and French
      are fair and I can pick out some German words, but Polish, Hungarian,
      and Russian are way beyond me.) Would I be best to simply print the
      screens with the correct name on it and try to get it translated
      somewhere? It appears that the name "Szemanszki" isn't from Szendro
      and that there don't appear to be any relatives left there, which is
      what my grandfather and his cousin found several decades ago. I know
      my 3 great grandfather was married there, but it doesn't appear he was
      baptised there, so his birth family must have been somewhere
      else...that's what I'm trying to track down now.

      Diana
    • John
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30, 2001
        At 04:45 PM 9/30/01 +0000, you wrote:
        >Let me see if I understand...If I go to the LDS library, the Hungarian
        >Church microfilm will have information on where the Szemanszki family
        >came from when they entered Szendro back in the mid 1800's?

        Not necessarily. It might give you clues. If they married in Szendro, and
        the groom was from another town it would be noted. The marriage record of
        your "3 great grandfather" might indicate the town he was from. The links
        Frank posted could be very useful. The mid 1800's was a turbulent period
        in Hungary and elsewhere with revolt and, at least in the case of upper
        Hungary, a cholera epidemic taking place. I'm sure this caused some
        displacement of people. I don't know which, if any nations, allied with
        Austria to put down the Hungarian Revolt. There is a possibility that the
        first Szemanszki in Szendro might have been part of an allied army or just
        from a neighboring town or village.

        Parish records use a standardized format and translations of the headings
        are available so you can get a lot of information without having to know
        the language. Any side notes or other forms of records would probably
        require a translation.

        John
      • frankur@att.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2001
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., John <jmatsko4@h...> wrote:
          > At 04:45 PM 9/30/01 +0000, you wrote:
          > >Let me see if I understand...If I go to the LDS library, the Hungarian
          > >Church microfilm will have information on where the Szemanszki family
          > >came from when they entered Szendro back in the mid 1800's?
          >
          > Not necessarily. It might give you clues. If they married in Szendro, and
          > the groom was from another town it would be noted. The marriage record of
          > your "3 great grandfather" might indicate the town he was from. The links
          > Frank posted could be very useful. The mid 1800's was a turbulent period
          > in Hungary and elsewhere with revolt and, at least in the case of upper
          > Hungary, a cholera epidemic taking place. I'm sure this caused some
          > displacement of people. I don't know which, if any nations, allied with
          > Austria to put down the Hungarian Revolt. There is a possibility that the
          > first Szemanszki in Szendro might have been part of an allied army or just
          > from a neighboring town or village.
          >
          > Parish records use a standardized format and translations of the headings
          > are available so you can get a lot of information without having to know
          > the language. Any side notes or other forms of records would probably
          > require a translation.
          >
          > John

          In most European countries R.C. parish church records were written in
          Latin.
          Have read microfilms in Czech, Slovak, Polish, Croatian, Russian,
          Serbian, Ukrainian, Slovene, Hungarian, German, Latin, and Italian.
          For those that were R.C. the church used a set template format in the
          church registers regardless of which country in Europe, only
          the language changed.

          Slovakia wasn't a Slovak political entity before WW I.
          The Magyars ruled what was later called Slovakia from 906 AD until
          1918 AD, nearly a 1000 years.

          When the failed Hungarian Revolution of 1848-1849 errupted, with
          With the help of the Russian Tsar's armies, the new Hapsburg
          emperor Franz Joseph I, put down the Hungarian revolution.
          Following the failed Hungarian Revolt in 1849 , the Austrians forbid
          the use of Hungarian in records and they were written in Latin again.

          After the dual Austro-Hungarian Monarchy was established in 1867
          the records went back to Hungarian again.

          Sometime in the 1870s the Hungarians outlawed teaching Slovak in
          schools and only the Hungarian language was taught in Slovakia.

          No different when the Communists took control of the Czechoslovakia
          government after WW 2 in 1948.
          Only the Russian language was taught in the schools.