Christmas Eve Supper

  • mkz
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 27, 1999
      Hi All,
      A small Church group I belong to is looking for a script of prayers,
      songs with music and a food list for a Slovak Christmas Eve Supper.
      There will be about 25 people attending if we can ever get it together.
      Can anyone help?
      Thanks
      Katherine
    • JArcher360@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 27, 1999
        My grand mother made something called "o-pe-kan-seh" (phonetic spelling). It
        was little balls of bread dough which were baked, then put into some sort of
        cheese sauce with onions and butter in it. She also made some sort of
        mushroom soup. And of course, there was always the Oblatki and honey.
      • Ylbrd@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 27, 1999
          In a message dated 09/27/1999 9:41:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          JArcher360@... writes:

          > Subj: Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Christmas Eve Supper
          > Date: 09/27/1999 9:41:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time
          > From: JArcher360@...
          > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@onelist.com
          >
          > From: JArcher360@...
          >
          > My grand mother made something called "o-pe-kan-seh" (phonetic spelling).
          > It
          > was little balls of bread dough which were baked, then put into some sort
          of

          > cheese sauce with onions and butter in it. She also made some sort of
          > mushroom soup. And of course, there was always the Oblatki and honey.

          check out http://www.iarelative.com/recipe
        • Sandy Niemi
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 27, 1999
            Hi Katherine,

            The following comes directly from a Slovak cook book I have:

            Christmas Eve the entire family gathered at the home of parents or
            grandparents and at the first sight of the evening star everyone would begin
            a delicious meal. Dishes were served in a strict order that the mother
            decreed. After the father or grandfather recited a lengthy prayer, the
            mother would direct the dipping of communion wafers (oplatky) in honey,
            which symbolized the "food of the gods." Served next would be KAPUSTA
            (sauerkraut) or Hriby (mushroom) soup, fried fish or KLOBASA, bean and
            potato salads and BOBALKY (small buns in ground poppyseed) or dates and figs
            (which were a reminder of the Holy Land). Mulled wine accompanied this meal
            as did assorted poppyseed and nut pastries and a variety of fresh and mixed
            dried fruits and mixed nuts.

            As I remember, my grandmother used to have 12 meatless dishes on Christmas
            Eve. I can't remember them all but some were the: Oplatky - communion wafers
            (blessed by the priest) in honey, next was the Kapusta (sauerkraut) or Hriby
            (mushroom) soup, PEROGIES (potato, prune, and saurerkraut), Fried Fish,
            beans made with fresh garlic, Bobalky - small buns in ground poppyseed (or
            sauerkraut,or cheese mashed potatoes & onions). She also had assorted
            poppyseed rolls, pastries, strudels, and poteca. I wish I could remember the
            other courses.

            Christmas Eve was so special - I recall the stories of her cleaning out one
            entire room and filling it with straw and a large manger scene. They would
            hide candy and nuts in the hay for the grandchildren to find. I remember
            being frightened as my older siblings and cousins trampled right over us
            younger ones. I also remember lining up to get the communion wafer (blessed
            by the priest) and honey and my grandmother would make the sign of the
            cross on our foreheads with ashes from the stove. (Must have been to ward
            away evil spirits). In later years when we didn't have the ashes we used
            honey to make the cross on the forehead.

            To this day we have carried on some of the traditional foods, the honey &
            and everyone washes their face in a bowl of water filled with coins. I think
            that is suppose to make us wealthy through the year. Of course the children
            get to keep the money they pick up in their hands.

            I would also be interested in the other customs people remember about
            Christmas Eve.

            Hope this helps,
            Sandy
            sniemi@...

            > A small Church group I belong to is looking for a script of prayers,
            > songs with music and a food list for a Slovak Christmas Eve Supper.
            > There will be about 25 people attending if we can ever get it together.
            > Can anyone help?
            > Thanks
            > Katherine

          • mkz
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 28, 1999
              Hi Sandy,
              Thank you so much for the wonderful tradition and story and yes it does help.
              Were there any prayers or songs that you remember in Slovak? We are trying to
              put a short play together before the the meal is eaten. It's late for this year
              so maybe next for the whole thing.
              Thanks again,
              Katherine

            • mkz
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 28, 1999
                Hi,
                Thanks for the information. I can almost taste those balls of bread with the
                cheese sauce and onions.
                Katherine