Re: [S-R] Thanks John!

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 29, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., John <jmatsko4@h...> wrote:
      > At 04:14 PM 9/29/01 -0400, you wrote:
      > >Thanks John! I am fairly sure that at least 99% of the
      > >Szemanszki/Semanski/Semens/Samonsky...etc...etc...etc, are my relatives,=
      > >just have to figure out how to find the connections between the brothers=
      and
      > >cousins that immigrated from the same region in Hungary over a 20 year
      > >period in the early 1900's.
      > >
      > >Now, how do I figure out how to tract the Szemanszki's from Szendro, BAZ=
      ,
      > >back to the "original" location in Eastern Europe so that I can figure o=
      ut
      > >what the last name really is?
      > >
      > >Diana
      >
      > The information you're looking for is probably in Budapest archives. You=

      > might try Hungarian genealogical lists to get that information. Frank K.=

      > on this list or someone else may know how to do it.
      >
      > John

      Had already written that the LDS-Mormons have filmed the Roman Catholic
      parish register of births, marriages and deaths (Anyakönyvek, 1733-1895)
      for Szendro", Borsod megye (county), Hungary.
      Text in Latin and Hungarian.
      Go review films for possible clues to surname ancestor's origin.

      film #
      623441
      623442
      623443
      623956

      In Hungarian the matriky are titled anyakönyvek.
      Halottak Anyakönyve = Death Records

      In Latin the matriky are titled matricula.
      Matricula Baptisatorum = Baptism Records
      Matricula Copulatorum = Marriage Records =

      Matricula Defunctorum = Death Records

      Original records are at the Budapesten a Magyar Országos.
      (Hungarian National Achives)

      http://feefhs.org/ah/hu/huarchiv.html

      I can't force surname researchers to follow through if they are
      so inclined.
    • John
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 29, 2001
        > > on this list or someone else may know how to do it.
        > >
        > > John
        >
        >Had already written that the LDS-Mormons have filmed the Roman Catholic
        >parish register of births, marriages and deaths (Anyakönyvek, 1733-1895)
        >for Szendro", Borsod megye (county), Hungary.

        I missed that post. Since I hadn't done any genealogical work in Hungary,
        I didn't realize that the LDS had done filming there. Do you know how much
        of Hungary they've done?

        John
      • frankur@att.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 30, 2001
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., John <jmatsko4@h...> wrote:

          > > > on this list or someone else may know how to do it.
          > > >
          > > > John
          > >
          > >Had already written that the LDS-Mormons have filmed the Roman Catholic
          > >parish register of births, marriages and deaths (Anyakönyvek, 1733-1895=
          )
          > >for Szendro", Borsod megye (county), Hungary.
          >
          > I missed that post. Since I hadn't done any genealogical work in Hungary=
          ,
          > I didn't realize that the LDS had done filming there. Do you know how mu=
          ch
          > of Hungary they've done?
          >
          > John

          Hungarian National Archives has church register records on microfilm up to =
          1895.
          (Civil registration began in Hungary in September 1895)

          These are copies of records the LDS Mormons filmed back in the 1960s.
          So check the online LDS FH Library catalog first.

          http://www.familysearch.org

          There are also 20 Hungarian state archives organized on a geographical
          basis, each covering the territory of one county.
          These provincial archives function at the provincial centers, e.g.
          Pécs => Baranya Megye

          http://www.natarch.hu/english/menu_24.htm
          http://user.itl.net/~glen/FamilyHistoryinHungary.html