Thanks John!

  • Diana Wicker
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 29, 2001
      Thanks John! I am fairly sure that at least 99% of the Szemanszki/Semanski/Semens/Samonsky...etc...etc...etc, are my relatives, I just have to figure out how to find the connections between the brothers and
      cousins that immigrated from the same region in Hungary over a 20 year period in the early 1900's.

      Now, how do I figure out how to tract the Szemanszki's from Szendro, BAZ, back to the "original" location in Eastern Europe so that I can figure out what the last name really is?

      Diana
    • John
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 29, 2001
        At 04:14 PM 9/29/01 -0400, you wrote:
        >Thanks John! I am fairly sure that at least 99% of the
        >Szemanszki/Semanski/Semens/Samonsky...etc...etc...etc, are my relatives, I
        >just have to figure out how to find the connections between the brothers and
        >cousins that immigrated from the same region in Hungary over a 20 year
        >period in the early 1900's.
        >
        >Now, how do I figure out how to tract the Szemanszki's from Szendro, BAZ,
        >back to the "original" location in Eastern Europe so that I can figure out
        >what the last name really is?
        >
        >Diana

        The information you're looking for is probably in Budapest archives. You
        might try Hungarian genealogical lists to get that information. Frank K.
        on this list or someone else may know how to do it.

        John
      • frankur@att.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 29, 2001
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., John <jmatsko4@h...> wrote:
          > At 04:14 PM 9/29/01 -0400, you wrote:
          > >Thanks John! I am fairly sure that at least 99% of the
          > >Szemanszki/Semanski/Semens/Samonsky...etc...etc...etc, are my relatives,=
          > >just have to figure out how to find the connections between the brothers=
          and
          > >cousins that immigrated from the same region in Hungary over a 20 year
          > >period in the early 1900's.
          > >
          > >Now, how do I figure out how to tract the Szemanszki's from Szendro, BAZ=
          ,
          > >back to the "original" location in Eastern Europe so that I can figure o=
          ut
          > >what the last name really is?
          > >
          > >Diana
          >
          > The information you're looking for is probably in Budapest archives. You=

          > might try Hungarian genealogical lists to get that information. Frank K.=

          > on this list or someone else may know how to do it.
          >
          > John

          Had already written that the LDS-Mormons have filmed the Roman Catholic
          parish register of births, marriages and deaths (Anyakönyvek, 1733-1895)
          for Szendro", Borsod megye (county), Hungary.
          Text in Latin and Hungarian.
          Go review films for possible clues to surname ancestor's origin.

          film #
          623441
          623442
          623443
          623956

          In Hungarian the matriky are titled anyakönyvek.
          Halottak Anyakönyve = Death Records

          In Latin the matriky are titled matricula.
          Matricula Baptisatorum = Baptism Records
          Matricula Copulatorum = Marriage Records =

          Matricula Defunctorum = Death Records

          Original records are at the Budapesten a Magyar Országos.
          (Hungarian National Achives)

          http://feefhs.org/ah/hu/huarchiv.html

          I can't force surname researchers to follow through if they are
          so inclined.
        • John
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 29, 2001
            > > on this list or someone else may know how to do it.
            > >
            > > John
            >
            >Had already written that the LDS-Mormons have filmed the Roman Catholic
            >parish register of births, marriages and deaths (Anyakönyvek, 1733-1895)
            >for Szendro", Borsod megye (county), Hungary.

            I missed that post. Since I hadn't done any genealogical work in Hungary,
            I didn't realize that the LDS had done filming there. Do you know how much
            of Hungary they've done?

            John
          • frankur@att.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 30, 2001
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., John <jmatsko4@h...> wrote:

              > > > on this list or someone else may know how to do it.
              > > >
              > > > John
              > >
              > >Had already written that the LDS-Mormons have filmed the Roman Catholic
              > >parish register of births, marriages and deaths (Anyakönyvek, 1733-1895=
              )
              > >for Szendro", Borsod megye (county), Hungary.
              >
              > I missed that post. Since I hadn't done any genealogical work in Hungary=
              ,
              > I didn't realize that the LDS had done filming there. Do you know how mu=
              ch
              > of Hungary they've done?
              >
              > John

              Hungarian National Archives has church register records on microfilm up to =
              1895.
              (Civil registration began in Hungary in September 1895)

              These are copies of records the LDS Mormons filmed back in the 1960s.
              So check the online LDS FH Library catalog first.

              http://www.familysearch.org

              There are also 20 Hungarian state archives organized on a geographical
              basis, each covering the territory of one county.
              These provincial archives function at the provincial centers, e.g.
              Pécs => Baranya Megye

              http://www.natarch.hu/english/menu_24.htm
              http://user.itl.net/~glen/FamilyHistoryinHungary.html