[S-R] Re: Scranton, Pa

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 29, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Gregory J. Kopchak" <greg@i...> wrote:
      > Frank:
      >
      > Both Oliphant and Oliphant Furnace Pennsylvania were home to many immigrants
      > from what is now Slovakia. In fact my grandfather lived in Oliphant Furnace
      > Pennsylvania briefly in 1905.
      >
      > The two Oliphants in Pennsylvania could mean you were looking at the wrong
      > one.
      >
      > If your Slovak immigrants arrived circa 1900-1905, Oliphant Furnace
      > Pennsylvania may have been the actual location you should be looking in.

      Greg:

      I had Final Destination street address and it was surname's brother-in-law
      in Olyphant Lackawanna Co in NE PA.
      Have a younger brother who still lives in Clarks Summit in nearby
      Luzerne Co.

      Am familiar with Oliphant Furance located near Fairchance and south of
      Uniontown PA.
      When I was researching Slavic surnames from Fayette Co in SW PA had an old map
      that not only showed regular towns but also the railroad lines, coal mines,
      ' coal patch towns ', and coke oven locations by owner (company)

      > Peggy:
      >
      > You might also want to check the 1880 Census of Deersville, Ohio for an
      > Oliphant connection.
      >
      > I picked up a 125 year old history book the other day, Goodrich's Pictorial
      > History of the United States, and its original owner was H.A. Oliphant.
      >
      > In the back back of the book there is a hand written note that one of the
      > signers of the Declaration of Independence was Irish. This would lead me to
      > believe the Oliphants were connected to Ireland as it is the only note in
      > the book referencing text. It could also be the answer to a homework
      > question on a day when H.A. Oliphant couldn't find paper.
      >
      > The book is hand dated in the back October 31, 1878 along with the location
      > Deersville Ohio.
      >
      > Greg Kopchak
      > It's All Relative

      Peggy:
      Re : Surname Oliphant

      http://rsl.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/rslsql.cgi

      Oliphant 1300 now Scotland> NJ>TN>MO>TX

      Oliphant 1583 1898 SCT>ENG>Oswego,NY

      Oliphant 1648 1841 NY>NJ>KY>IL

      Oliphant 1650 now SCT>NJ>Greene>Rutherford>Dickson>DavidsonCo,TN

      Oliphant 1650 now SCT>NJ>TN>MO>OK>KS

      Oliphant 1685 1900 NJ>PA>MD>OH>IL>MO>CO

      Oliphant 1700 now SCT>Ray,MO
      Oliphant 1700 1900 Scotland, NF,Canada

      more ... ENG and SCT but no Ireland listed