RE: [S-R] Re: Scranton, Pa

  • Gregory J. Kopchak
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 29 8:56 AM
      Frank:

      Both Oliphant and Oliphant Furnace Pennsylvania were home to many immigrants
      from what is now Slovakia. In fact my grandfather lived in Oliphant Furnace
      Pennsylvania briefly in 1905.

      The two Oliphants in Pennsylvania could mean you were looking at the wrong
      one.

      If your Slovak immigrants arrived circa 1900-1905, Oliphant Furnace
      Pennsylvania may have been the actual location you should be looking in.

      Peggy:

      You might also want to check the 1880 Census of Deersville, Ohio for an
      Oliphant connection.

      I picked up a 125 year old history book the other day, Goodrich's Pictorial
      History of the United States, and its original owner was H.A. Oliphant.

      In the back back of the book there is a hand written note that one of the
      signers of the Declaration of Independence was Irish. This would lead me to
      believe the Oliphants were connected to Ireland as it is the only note in
      the book referencing text. It could also be the answer to a homework
      question on a day when H.A. Oliphant couldn't find paper.

      The book is hand dated in the back October 31, 1878 along with the location
      Deersville Ohio.

      Greg Kopchak
      It's All Relative

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 29 10:43 AM
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Gregory J. Kopchak" <greg@i...> wrote:
        > Frank:
        >
        > Both Oliphant and Oliphant Furnace Pennsylvania were home to many immigrants
        > from what is now Slovakia. In fact my grandfather lived in Oliphant Furnace
        > Pennsylvania briefly in 1905.
        >
        > The two Oliphants in Pennsylvania could mean you were looking at the wrong
        > one.
        >
        > If your Slovak immigrants arrived circa 1900-1905, Oliphant Furnace
        > Pennsylvania may have been the actual location you should be looking in.

        Greg:

        I had Final Destination street address and it was surname's brother-in-law
        in Olyphant Lackawanna Co in NE PA.
        Have a younger brother who still lives in Clarks Summit in nearby
        Luzerne Co.

        Am familiar with Oliphant Furance located near Fairchance and south of
        Uniontown PA.
        When I was researching Slavic surnames from Fayette Co in SW PA had an old map
        that not only showed regular towns but also the railroad lines, coal mines,
        ' coal patch towns ', and coke oven locations by owner (company)

        > Peggy:
        >
        > You might also want to check the 1880 Census of Deersville, Ohio for an
        > Oliphant connection.
        >
        > I picked up a 125 year old history book the other day, Goodrich's Pictorial
        > History of the United States, and its original owner was H.A. Oliphant.
        >
        > In the back back of the book there is a hand written note that one of the
        > signers of the Declaration of Independence was Irish. This would lead me to
        > believe the Oliphants were connected to Ireland as it is the only note in
        > the book referencing text. It could also be the answer to a homework
        > question on a day when H.A. Oliphant couldn't find paper.
        >
        > The book is hand dated in the back October 31, 1878 along with the location
        > Deersville Ohio.
        >
        > Greg Kopchak
        > It's All Relative

        Peggy:
        Re : Surname Oliphant

        http://rsl.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/rslsql.cgi

        Oliphant 1300 now Scotland> NJ>TN>MO>TX

        Oliphant 1583 1898 SCT>ENG>Oswego,NY

        Oliphant 1648 1841 NY>NJ>KY>IL

        Oliphant 1650 now SCT>NJ>Greene>Rutherford>Dickson>DavidsonCo,TN

        Oliphant 1650 now SCT>NJ>TN>MO>OK>KS

        Oliphant 1685 1900 NJ>PA>MD>OH>IL>MO>CO

        Oliphant 1700 now SCT>Ray,MO
        Oliphant 1700 1900 Scotland, NF,Canada

        more ... ENG and SCT but no Ireland listed