October designated as FAMILY HISTORY MONTH

  • BobHORGOS@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28 10:29 PM
      IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES

      September 12, 2001

      Mr. HATCH (for himself, Mr. REID, Mr. INHOFE, Mr. THURMOND, Mr. BENNETT, Mr.
      DODD, Mr. STEVENS, Mr. CRAIG, Mr. GRASSLEY, Mr. CLELAND, Mr. HUTCHINSON, Mr.
      INOUYE, Mr. DEWINE, Mr. CAMPBELL, Mrs. CLINTON, Mr. NELSON of Nebraska, Mr.
      LEAHY, Mr. CONRAD, Mr. FRIST, Mr. ROCKEFELLER, Mr. JEFFORDS, Mr. BAUCUS, Mr.
      SESSIONS, Mr. HELMS, Mr. BINGAMAN, Mr. BUNNING, Mr. MILLER, Mr. MURKOWSKI,
      Mr. NICKLES, Mr. COCHRAN, Mr. DOMENICI, Mr. ALLEN, Mr. SMITH of Oregon, Mr.
      WYDEN, Mrs. FEINSTEIN, Mr. DASCHLE, Mr. FITZGERALD, Ms. SNOWE, Ms. COLLINS,
      Mr. WELLSTONE, Mr. KERRY, Mr. DORGAN, Ms. CANTWELL, Ms. STABENOW, Mr.
      KENNEDY, Mrs. LINCOLN, Mr. SPECTER, Mr. BIDEN, Mr. BROWNBACK, Mr. ROBERTS,
      Mr. ALLARD, Mr. BAYH, Mr. BYRD, Mr. NELSON of Florida, Mr. SCHUMER, Mr.
      HOLLINGS, Mr. SANTORUM, Mrs. HUTCHISON, Mr. CORZINE, Mr. THOMPSON, Mr. LUGAR,
      Mr. VOINOVICH, Mr. MCCONNELL, Mr. LOTT, Mr. AKAKA, Mrs. BOXER, Mr. DURBIN,
      Mr. BREAUX, Mrs. DAYTON, Mr. ENZI, Mr. THOMAS, Mr. SMITH of New Hampshire,
      Mr. BURNS, Mr. CRAPO, Mr. HAGEL, Mr. KOHL, Mr. LEVIN, Ms. MIKULSKI, Mr.
      SHELBY, Mr. SARBANES, Mrs. MURRAY, Mr. GRAHAM, Mr. JOHNSON, Mr. FEINGOLD, and
      Mr. TORRICELLI) submitted the following resolution; which was referred to the
      Committee on the Judiciary

      September 26, 2001

      Committee discharged; considered and agreed to

      RESOLUTION
      Designating the month of October 2001, as `Family History Month'.
      Whereas it is the family, striving for a future of opportunity and hope, that
      reflects our Nation's belief in community, stability, and love;
      Whereas the family remains an institution of promise, reliance, and
      encouragement;
      Whereas we look to the family as an unwavering symbol of constancy that will
      help us discover a future of prosperity, promise, and potential;
      Whereas within our Nation's libraries and archives lie the treasured records
      that detail the history of our Nation, our States, our communities, and our
      citizens;
      Whereas individuals from across our Nation and across the world have embarked
      on a genealogical journey by discovering who their ancestors were and how
      various forces shaped their past;
      Whereas an ever-growing number in our Nation and in other nations are
      collecting, preserving, and sharing genealogies, personal documents, and
      memorabilia that detail the life and times of families around the world;
      Whereas 54,000,000 individuals belong to a family where someone in the family
      has used the Internet to research their family history;
      Whereas individuals from across our Nation and across the world continue to
      research their family heritage and its impact upon the history of our Nation
      and the world;
      Whereas approximately 60 percent of Americans have expressed an interest in
      tracing their family history;
      Whereas the study of family history gives individuals a sense of their
      heritage and a sense of responsibility in carrying out a legacy that their
      ancestors began;
      Whereas as individuals learn about their ancestors who worked so hard and
      sacrificed so much, their commitment to honor their ancestors' memory by
      doing good is increased;
      Whereas interest in our personal family history transcends all cultural and
      religious affiliations;
      Whereas to encourage family history research, education, and the sharing of
      knowledge is to renew the commitment to the concept of home and family; and
      Whereas the involvement of National, State, and local officials in promoting
      genealogy and in facilitating access to family history records in archives
      and libraries are important factors in the successful perception of
      nationwide camaraderie, support, and participation: Now, therefore, be it

      Resolved, That the Senate--

      (1) designates the month of October 2001, as `Family History Month'; and

      (2) requests that the President issue a proclamation calling upon the people
      of the United States to observe the month with appropriate ceremonies and
      activities.