Re: [S-R] Re: Scranton, Pa

  • Bob & Peg
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 28, 2001
      Thank-you to all list members who responded to my query about
      OLYPHANT/OLIPHANT.
      I will be checking out the recommended PA county website and other
      websites.
      I am not sure where my OLIPHANTS originated but Scotland seems right (just a
      hunch mind you). By the way my OLIPHANTS did end up in Indiana. They came
      from North Carolina but I don't know anything beyond that.
      Thank-you for your kind help and good luck with your search!
      Regards,
      Peggy

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 29, 2001
        Frank:

        Both Oliphant and Oliphant Furnace Pennsylvania were home to many immigrants
        from what is now Slovakia. In fact my grandfather lived in Oliphant Furnace
        Pennsylvania briefly in 1905.

        The two Oliphants in Pennsylvania could mean you were looking at the wrong
        one.

        If your Slovak immigrants arrived circa 1900-1905, Oliphant Furnace
        Pennsylvania may have been the actual location you should be looking in.

        Peggy:

        You might also want to check the 1880 Census of Deersville, Ohio for an
        Oliphant connection.

        I picked up a 125 year old history book the other day, Goodrich's Pictorial
        History of the United States, and its original owner was H.A. Oliphant.

        In the back back of the book there is a hand written note that one of the
        signers of the Declaration of Independence was Irish. This would lead me to
        believe the Oliphants were connected to Ireland as it is the only note in
        the book referencing text. It could also be the answer to a homework
        question on a day when H.A. Oliphant couldn't find paper.

        The book is hand dated in the back October 31, 1878 along with the location
        Deersville Ohio.

        Greg Kopchak
        It's All Relative

      • frankur@att.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 29, 2001
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Gregory J. Kopchak" <greg@i...> wrote:
          > Frank:
          >
          > Both Oliphant and Oliphant Furnace Pennsylvania were home to many immigrants
          > from what is now Slovakia. In fact my grandfather lived in Oliphant Furnace
          > Pennsylvania briefly in 1905.
          >
          > The two Oliphants in Pennsylvania could mean you were looking at the wrong
          > one.
          >
          > If your Slovak immigrants arrived circa 1900-1905, Oliphant Furnace
          > Pennsylvania may have been the actual location you should be looking in.

          Greg:

          I had Final Destination street address and it was surname's brother-in-law
          in Olyphant Lackawanna Co in NE PA.
          Have a younger brother who still lives in Clarks Summit in nearby
          Luzerne Co.

          Am familiar with Oliphant Furance located near Fairchance and south of
          Uniontown PA.
          When I was researching Slavic surnames from Fayette Co in SW PA had an old map
          that not only showed regular towns but also the railroad lines, coal mines,
          ' coal patch towns ', and coke oven locations by owner (company)

          > Peggy:
          >
          > You might also want to check the 1880 Census of Deersville, Ohio for an
          > Oliphant connection.
          >
          > I picked up a 125 year old history book the other day, Goodrich's Pictorial
          > History of the United States, and its original owner was H.A. Oliphant.
          >
          > In the back back of the book there is a hand written note that one of the
          > signers of the Declaration of Independence was Irish. This would lead me to
          > believe the Oliphants were connected to Ireland as it is the only note in
          > the book referencing text. It could also be the answer to a homework
          > question on a day when H.A. Oliphant couldn't find paper.
          >
          > The book is hand dated in the back October 31, 1878 along with the location
          > Deersville Ohio.
          >
          > Greg Kopchak
          > It's All Relative

          Peggy:
          Re : Surname Oliphant

          http://rsl.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/rslsql.cgi

          Oliphant 1300 now Scotland> NJ>TN>MO>TX

          Oliphant 1583 1898 SCT>ENG>Oswego,NY

          Oliphant 1648 1841 NY>NJ>KY>IL

          Oliphant 1650 now SCT>NJ>Greene>Rutherford>Dickson>DavidsonCo,TN

          Oliphant 1650 now SCT>NJ>TN>MO>OK>KS

          Oliphant 1685 1900 NJ>PA>MD>OH>IL>MO>CO

          Oliphant 1700 now SCT>Ray,MO
          Oliphant 1700 1900 Scotland, NF,Canada

          more ... ENG and SCT but no Ireland listed