Re: [S-R] Re: Scranton, Pa

  • BobHORGOS@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 27 10:57 PM
      In a message dated 9/27/01 5:02:33 PM, rpmrazik@... writes:

      << if you are able to tell me anything about
      this Olyphant town. Thank-you. >>

      Try the Lackawanna County PAGenWeb Site at:
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~palackaw/index.html

      Olyphant was located in Lackawanna County, PA and information related to
      Olyphant shows up in that Web Site.
    • frankur@att.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 28 7:55 AM
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "" <rpmrazik@m...> wrote:
        > Frank,
        > I am a little curious about the town Olyphant you refer to below. Is this
        > town in New Jersey or PA? The reason I am curious is it is one of the
        > surnames I am researching only mine is spelled OLIPHANT. I don't believe
        > this surname has any Slovak connection, yet I think information about this
        > town might help me with this line. When you have time, I would very much
        > like to hear more about this town, if you are able to tell me anything about
        > this Olyphant town. Thank-you.
        > Regards,
        > Peggy

        Luzerne County (Hazelton, Wilkes-Barre, Nanticoke) and Lackawanna
        County (Olyphant, Scranton, Carbondale) and a number of surrounding
        counties were the center of the anthracite (hard) coal mining region
        in NE PA.
        Westmoreland County and Fayette County in PA around Pittsburgh
        were the center of the bituminous (soft) coal mining region in SW PA.
        There was almost a direct pipeline of emigrants from Upper-Hungary
        (Slovakia) to these two PA coal mining regions.
        Philadelphia port of entry was only 120 miles from the NE PA coal mining region.
        Located 2 parental surnames who sailed from Antwerp Belgium in 1896
        to Final Destination, a Olyphant Ind.
        Spent 9 months trying unsuccessfully to locate this town.
        After reviewing ship's manifest about a dozen times realized that
        the handwriting had a check mark next to state abbreviation and what
        I thought read Ind was actually Pa.
        The only Olyphant is located in Luzerne County PA.

        Reviewed the 1900/1910 U.S. Census microfilm enumerations for Luzerne County especially all the townships, line by line several times and could not locate the surnames.
        Know they went back to Slovakia.
        Whenever I review U.S. Social Security Death Index for surnames and read Luzerne County PA automatically assume a coal miner or a coal miner's daughter as in some songs.

        http://www.intiques.com/sphg/sphg1.html

        Am not into Gaelic genealogy, but Oliphant is an early (16th-17th c) Scot surname and I doubt any connection to coal mining.
        If your surname had been of Welsh origin there might have been a connection ?
      • Bob & Peg
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 28 4:56 PM
          Thank-you to all list members who responded to my query about
          OLYPHANT/OLIPHANT.
          I will be checking out the recommended PA county website and other
          websites.
          I am not sure where my OLIPHANTS originated but Scotland seems right (just a
          hunch mind you). By the way my OLIPHANTS did end up in Indiana. They came
          from North Carolina but I don't know anything beyond that.
          Thank-you for your kind help and good luck with your search!
          Regards,
          Peggy

          > > I am a little curious about the town Olyphant you refer to below. Is
          this
          > > town in New Jersey or PA? The reason I am curious is it is one of the
          > > surnames I am researching only mine is spelled OLIPHANT. I don't believe
          > > this surname has any Slovak connection, yet I think information about
          this
          > > town might help me with this line. When you have time, I would very much
          > > like to hear more about this town, if you are able to tell me anything
          about
          > > this Olyphant town. Thank-you.
          > > Regards,
          > > Peggy
          > >

          > Luzerne County (Hazelton, Wilkes-Barre, Nanticoke) and Lackawanna
          > County (Olyphant, Scranton, Carbondale) and a number of surrounding
          > counties were the center of the anthracite (hard) coal mining region
          > in NE PA.
          > Westmoreland County and Fayette County in PA around Pittsburgh
          > were the center of the bituminous (soft) coal mining region in SW PA.
          > There was almost a direct pipeline of emigrants from Upper-Hungary
          > (Slovakia) to these two PA coal mining regions.
          > Philadelphia port of entry was only 120 miles from the NE PA coal mining
          region.
          > Located 2 parental surnames who sailed from Antwerp Belgium in 1896
          > to Final Destination, a Olyphant Ind.
          > Spent 9 months trying unsuccessfully to locate this town.
          > After reviewing ship's manifest about a dozen times realized that
          > the handwriting had a check mark next to state abbreviation and what
          > I thought read Ind was actually Pa.
          > The only Olyphant is located in Luzerne County PA.
          >
          > Reviewed the 1900/1910 U.S. Census microfilm enumerations for Luzerne
          County especially all the townships, line by line several times and could
          not locate the surnames.
          > Know they went back to Slovakia.
          > Whenever I review U.S. Social Security Death Index for surnames and read
          Luzerne County PA automatically assume a coal miner or a coal miner's
          daughter as in some songs.

          > http://www.intiques.com/sphg/sphg1.html
          >
          > Am not into Gaelic genealogy, but Oliphant is an early (16th-17th c) Scot
          surname and I doubt any connection to coal mining.
          > If your surname had been of Welsh origin there might have been a
          connection ?
        • Gregory J. Kopchak
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 29 8:56 AM
            Frank:

            Both Oliphant and Oliphant Furnace Pennsylvania were home to many immigrants
            from what is now Slovakia. In fact my grandfather lived in Oliphant Furnace
            Pennsylvania briefly in 1905.

            The two Oliphants in Pennsylvania could mean you were looking at the wrong
            one.

            If your Slovak immigrants arrived circa 1900-1905, Oliphant Furnace
            Pennsylvania may have been the actual location you should be looking in.

            Peggy:

            You might also want to check the 1880 Census of Deersville, Ohio for an
            Oliphant connection.

            I picked up a 125 year old history book the other day, Goodrich's Pictorial
            History of the United States, and its original owner was H.A. Oliphant.

            In the back back of the book there is a hand written note that one of the
            signers of the Declaration of Independence was Irish. This would lead me to
            believe the Oliphants were connected to Ireland as it is the only note in
            the book referencing text. It could also be the answer to a homework
            question on a day when H.A. Oliphant couldn't find paper.

            The book is hand dated in the back October 31, 1878 along with the location
            Deersville Ohio.

            Greg Kopchak
            It's All Relative

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 29 10:43 AM
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Gregory J. Kopchak" <greg@i...> wrote:
              > Frank:
              >
              > Both Oliphant and Oliphant Furnace Pennsylvania were home to many immigrants
              > from what is now Slovakia. In fact my grandfather lived in Oliphant Furnace
              > Pennsylvania briefly in 1905.
              >
              > The two Oliphants in Pennsylvania could mean you were looking at the wrong
              > one.
              >
              > If your Slovak immigrants arrived circa 1900-1905, Oliphant Furnace
              > Pennsylvania may have been the actual location you should be looking in.

              Greg:

              I had Final Destination street address and it was surname's brother-in-law
              in Olyphant Lackawanna Co in NE PA.
              Have a younger brother who still lives in Clarks Summit in nearby
              Luzerne Co.

              Am familiar with Oliphant Furance located near Fairchance and south of
              Uniontown PA.
              When I was researching Slavic surnames from Fayette Co in SW PA had an old map
              that not only showed regular towns but also the railroad lines, coal mines,
              ' coal patch towns ', and coke oven locations by owner (company)

              > Peggy:
              >
              > You might also want to check the 1880 Census of Deersville, Ohio for an
              > Oliphant connection.
              >
              > I picked up a 125 year old history book the other day, Goodrich's Pictorial
              > History of the United States, and its original owner was H.A. Oliphant.
              >
              > In the back back of the book there is a hand written note that one of the
              > signers of the Declaration of Independence was Irish. This would lead me to
              > believe the Oliphants were connected to Ireland as it is the only note in
              > the book referencing text. It could also be the answer to a homework
              > question on a day when H.A. Oliphant couldn't find paper.
              >
              > The book is hand dated in the back October 31, 1878 along with the location
              > Deersville Ohio.
              >
              > Greg Kopchak
              > It's All Relative

              Peggy:
              Re : Surname Oliphant

              http://rsl.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/rslsql.cgi

              Oliphant 1300 now Scotland> NJ>TN>MO>TX

              Oliphant 1583 1898 SCT>ENG>Oswego,NY

              Oliphant 1648 1841 NY>NJ>KY>IL

              Oliphant 1650 now SCT>NJ>Greene>Rutherford>Dickson>DavidsonCo,TN

              Oliphant 1650 now SCT>NJ>TN>MO>OK>KS

              Oliphant 1685 1900 NJ>PA>MD>OH>IL>MO>CO

              Oliphant 1700 now SCT>Ray,MO
              Oliphant 1700 1900 Scotland, NF,Canada

              more ... ENG and SCT but no Ireland listed