Re: [S-R] Bohemia

  • John
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 27 5:44 PM
      At 08:51 AM 9/27/01 -0500, you wrote:
      >Nature
      >
      >Hello! One of the ancestor's birthplace is listed as Bohemia on census
      >reports. What area would that refer to in the late 1800's/early1900's.
      >Thanks for your help!

      Try:

      http://feefhs.org/maps/ah/ah-bohem.html

      http://www.biega.com/bohemia.html

      I would check out another source on the ethnicity. My s-i-l's family
      talked about their Bohemian grandfather who turned out to be a Rusyn from
      Circ in what is now Slovakia.

      John
    • Dr. Joe Quashnock
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 27 5:47 PM
        Bohemia is now Central and Eastern Czech Republic, Prague (Praha) being the "center". Do you have any inkling of the name of the town?

        Dr. "Q"

      • frankur@att.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 28 7:47 AM
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "nancy hagen" <mckayhagen@c...> wrote:
          > Nature
          >
          > Hello! One of the ancestor's birthplace is listed as Bohemia on census re=
          ports. What area would that refer to in the late 1800's/early1900's. Thanks =
          for your help!
          > Blessings & Joy,
          > Nancy
          > mckayhagen@c...

          Czech-Bohemia (including Moravia 1849-1918) was a
          Austrian kingdom (10th century-1918)
          Part of the Österreichisch-ungarische Monarchie, or
          or in English, Austro-Hungarian Monarchy (1867-1918)
          It was an Austrian Kröneland (province)
          Both German and Czech languages were used.

          Mähren => Maehren => Marin => Moravia.
          Mähren was an Austrian Kröneland located east of Böhmen (Bohemia).
          Its capital was Brünn (Brno).
          Mähren had been a separate crownland until 1849 when it became a part
          of Böhmen (Bohemia) together with Österreichisch-Schleisen
          (Austrian-Silesia).

          The Austrian Habsburgs, accustomed to being imperial, assumed the title
          of Emperor of Austria in 1804. Later, the "dual-monarchy" was
          established, with the Habsburgs as Emperors of Austria and Kings of
          Hungary, the combined realm being known as "Austria-Hungary".
        • BobHORGOS@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 28 8:04 PM
            In a message dated 9/27/01 5:32:41 PM, mckayhagen@... writes:

            << One of the ancestor's birthplace is listed as Bohemia on census reports.
            What area would that refer to in the late 1800's/early1900's. >>

            Some additional Web Sites for Bohemia are:

            Bohemia:
            http://www.bartleby.com/65/bo/Bohemia.html

            A brief history of Bohemia in the 12th-13th centuries:
            http://isd.usc.edu/~aflesch/bohemia.html

            History of Bohemia:
            http://www.newbohemian.com/history.shtml

            Kingdom of Bohemia: