Bohemia

  • nancy hagen
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 27, 2001
      Nature

      Hello! One of the ancestor's birthplace is listed as Bohemia on census reports. What area would that refer to in the late 1800's/early1900's. Thanks for your help!
      Blessings & Joy,
      Nancy
      mckayhagen@...

    • John
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 27, 2001
        At 08:51 AM 9/27/01 -0500, you wrote:
        >Nature
        >
        >Hello! One of the ancestor's birthplace is listed as Bohemia on census
        >reports. What area would that refer to in the late 1800's/early1900's.
        >Thanks for your help!

        Try:

        http://feefhs.org/maps/ah/ah-bohem.html

        http://www.biega.com/bohemia.html

        I would check out another source on the ethnicity. My s-i-l's family
        talked about their Bohemian grandfather who turned out to be a Rusyn from
        Circ in what is now Slovakia.

        John
      • Dr. Joe Quashnock
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 27, 2001
          Bohemia is now Central and Eastern Czech Republic, Prague (Praha) being the "center". Do you have any inkling of the name of the town?

          Dr. "Q"

        • frankur@att.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 28, 2001
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "nancy hagen" <mckayhagen@c...> wrote:
            > Nature
            >
            > Hello! One of the ancestor's birthplace is listed as Bohemia on census re=
            ports. What area would that refer to in the late 1800's/early1900's. Thanks =
            for your help!
            > Blessings & Joy,
            > Nancy
            > mckayhagen@c...

            Czech-Bohemia (including Moravia 1849-1918) was a
            Austrian kingdom (10th century-1918)
            Part of the Österreichisch-ungarische Monarchie, or
            or in English, Austro-Hungarian Monarchy (1867-1918)
            It was an Austrian Kröneland (province)
            Both German and Czech languages were used.

            Mähren => Maehren => Marin => Moravia.
            Mähren was an Austrian Kröneland located east of Böhmen (Bohemia).
            Its capital was Brünn (Brno).
            Mähren had been a separate crownland until 1849 when it became a part
            of Böhmen (Bohemia) together with Österreichisch-Schleisen
            (Austrian-Silesia).

            The Austrian Habsburgs, accustomed to being imperial, assumed the title
            of Emperor of Austria in 1804. Later, the "dual-monarchy" was
            established, with the Habsburgs as Emperors of Austria and Kings of
            Hungary, the combined realm being known as "Austria-Hungary".
          • BobHORGOS@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 28, 2001
              In a message dated 9/27/01 5:32:41 PM, mckayhagen@... writes:

              << One of the ancestor's birthplace is listed as Bohemia on census reports.
              What area would that refer to in the late 1800's/early1900's. >>

              Some additional Web Sites for Bohemia are:

              Bohemia:
              http://www.bartleby.com/65/bo/Bohemia.html

              A brief history of Bohemia in the 12th-13th centuries:
              http://isd.usc.edu/~aflesch/bohemia.html

              History of Bohemia:
              http://www.newbohemian.com/history.shtml

              Kingdom of Bohemia: