Re: [S-R] Re: Scranton, Pa

  • rpmrazik@msn.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 27, 2001
      Frank,
      I am a little curious about the town Olyphant you refer to below. Is this
      town in New Jersey or PA? The reason I am curious is it is one of the
      surnames I am researching only mine is spelled OLIPHANT. I don't believe
      this surname has any Slovak connection, yet I think information about this
      town might help me with this line. When you have time, I would very much
      like to hear more about this town, if you are able to tell me anything about
      this Olyphant town. Thank-you.
      Regards,
      Peggy

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 27, 2001
        In a message dated 9/27/01 5:02:33 PM, rpmrazik@... writes:

        << if you are able to tell me anything about
        this Olyphant town. Thank-you. >>

        Try the Lackawanna County PAGenWeb Site at:
        http://www.rootsweb.com/~palackaw/index.html

        Olyphant was located in Lackawanna County, PA and information related to
        Olyphant shows up in that Web Site.
      • frankur@att.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 28, 2001
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "" <rpmrazik@m...> wrote:
          > Frank,
          > I am a little curious about the town Olyphant you refer to below. Is this
          > town in New Jersey or PA? The reason I am curious is it is one of the
          > surnames I am researching only mine is spelled OLIPHANT. I don't believe
          > this surname has any Slovak connection, yet I think information about this
          > town might help me with this line. When you have time, I would very much
          > like to hear more about this town, if you are able to tell me anything about
          > this Olyphant town. Thank-you.
          > Regards,
          > Peggy

          Luzerne County (Hazelton, Wilkes-Barre, Nanticoke) and Lackawanna
          County (Olyphant, Scranton, Carbondale) and a number of surrounding
          counties were the center of the anthracite (hard) coal mining region
          in NE PA.
          Westmoreland County and Fayette County in PA around Pittsburgh
          were the center of the bituminous (soft) coal mining region in SW PA.
          There was almost a direct pipeline of emigrants from Upper-Hungary
          (Slovakia) to these two PA coal mining regions.
          Philadelphia port of entry was only 120 miles from the NE PA coal mining region.
          Located 2 parental surnames who sailed from Antwerp Belgium in 1896
          to Final Destination, a Olyphant Ind.
          Spent 9 months trying unsuccessfully to locate this town.
          After reviewing ship's manifest about a dozen times realized that
          the handwriting had a check mark next to state abbreviation and what
          I thought read Ind was actually Pa.
          The only Olyphant is located in Luzerne County PA.

          Reviewed the 1900/1910 U.S. Census microfilm enumerations for Luzerne County especially all the townships, line by line several times and could not locate the surnames.
          Know they went back to Slovakia.
          Whenever I review U.S. Social Security Death Index for surnames and read Luzerne County PA automatically assume a coal miner or a coal miner's daughter as in some songs.

          http://www.intiques.com/sphg/sphg1.html

          Am not into Gaelic genealogy, but Oliphant is an early (16th-17th c) Scot surname and I doubt any connection to coal mining.
          If your surname had been of Welsh origin there might have been a connection ?
        • Bob & Peg
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 28, 2001
            Thank-you to all list members who responded to my query about
            OLYPHANT/OLIPHANT.
            I will be checking out the recommended PA county website and other
            websites.
            I am not sure where my OLIPHANTS originated but Scotland seems right (just a
            hunch mind you). By the way my OLIPHANTS did end up in Indiana. They came
            from North Carolina but I don't know anything beyond that.
            Thank-you for your kind help and good luck with your search!
            Regards,
            Peggy

            > > I am a little curious about the town Olyphant you refer to below. Is
            this
            > > town in New Jersey or PA? The reason I am curious is it is one of the
            > > surnames I am researching only mine is spelled OLIPHANT. I don't believe
            > > this surname has any Slovak connection, yet I think information about
            this
            > > town might help me with this line. When you have time, I would very much
            > > like to hear more about this town, if you are able to tell me anything
            about
            > > this Olyphant town. Thank-you.
            > > Regards,
            > > Peggy
            > >

            > Luzerne County (Hazelton, Wilkes-Barre, Nanticoke) and Lackawanna
            > County (Olyphant, Scranton, Carbondale) and a number of surrounding
            > counties were the center of the anthracite (hard) coal mining region
            > in NE PA.
            > Westmoreland County and Fayette County in PA around Pittsburgh
            > were the center of the bituminous (soft) coal mining region in SW PA.
            > There was almost a direct pipeline of emigrants from Upper-Hungary
            > (Slovakia) to these two PA coal mining regions.
            > Philadelphia port of entry was only 120 miles from the NE PA coal mining
            region.
            > Located 2 parental surnames who sailed from Antwerp Belgium in 1896
            > to Final Destination, a Olyphant Ind.
            > Spent 9 months trying unsuccessfully to locate this town.
            > After reviewing ship's manifest about a dozen times realized that
            > the handwriting had a check mark next to state abbreviation and what
            > I thought read Ind was actually Pa.
            > The only Olyphant is located in Luzerne County PA.
            >
            > Reviewed the 1900/1910 U.S. Census microfilm enumerations for Luzerne
            County especially all the townships, line by line several times and could
            not locate the surnames.
            > Know they went back to Slovakia.
            > Whenever I review U.S. Social Security Death Index for surnames and read
            Luzerne County PA automatically assume a coal miner or a coal miner's
            daughter as in some songs.

            > http://www.intiques.com/sphg/sphg1.html
            >
            > Am not into Gaelic genealogy, but Oliphant is an early (16th-17th c) Scot
            surname and I doubt any connection to coal mining.
            > If your surname had been of Welsh origin there might have been a
            connection ?
          • Gregory J. Kopchak
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 29, 2001
              Frank:

              Both Oliphant and Oliphant Furnace Pennsylvania were home to many immigrants
              from what is now Slovakia. In fact my grandfather lived in Oliphant Furnace
              Pennsylvania briefly in 1905.

              The two Oliphants in Pennsylvania could mean you were looking at the wrong
              one.

              If your Slovak immigrants arrived circa 1900-1905, Oliphant Furnace
              Pennsylvania may have been the actual location you should be looking in.

              Peggy:

              You might also want to check the 1880 Census of Deersville, Ohio for an
              Oliphant connection.

              I picked up a 125 year old history book the other day, Goodrich's Pictorial
              History of the United States, and its original owner was H.A. Oliphant.

              In the back back of the book there is a hand written note that one of the
              signers of the Declaration of Independence was Irish. This would lead me to
              believe the Oliphants were connected to Ireland as it is the only note in
              the book referencing text. It could also be the answer to a homework
              question on a day when H.A. Oliphant couldn't find paper.

              The book is hand dated in the back October 31, 1878 along with the location
              Deersville Ohio.

              Greg Kopchak
              It's All Relative

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 29, 2001
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Gregory J. Kopchak" <greg@i...> wrote:
                > Frank:
                >
                > Both Oliphant and Oliphant Furnace Pennsylvania were home to many immigrants
                > from what is now Slovakia. In fact my grandfather lived in Oliphant Furnace
                > Pennsylvania briefly in 1905.
                >
                > The two Oliphants in Pennsylvania could mean you were looking at the wrong
                > one.
                >
                > If your Slovak immigrants arrived circa 1900-1905, Oliphant Furnace
                > Pennsylvania may have been the actual location you should be looking in.

                Greg:

                I had Final Destination street address and it was surname's brother-in-law
                in Olyphant Lackawanna Co in NE PA.
                Have a younger brother who still lives in Clarks Summit in nearby
                Luzerne Co.

                Am familiar with Oliphant Furance located near Fairchance and south of
                Uniontown PA.
                When I was researching Slavic surnames from Fayette Co in SW PA had an old map
                that not only showed regular towns but also the railroad lines, coal mines,
                ' coal patch towns ', and coke oven locations by owner (company)

                > Peggy:
                >
                > You might also want to check the 1880 Census of Deersville, Ohio for an
                > Oliphant connection.
                >
                > I picked up a 125 year old history book the other day, Goodrich's Pictorial
                > History of the United States, and its original owner was H.A. Oliphant.
                >
                > In the back back of the book there is a hand written note that one of the
                > signers of the Declaration of Independence was Irish. This would lead me to
                > believe the Oliphants were connected to Ireland as it is the only note in
                > the book referencing text. It could also be the answer to a homework
                > question on a day when H.A. Oliphant couldn't find paper.
                >
                > The book is hand dated in the back October 31, 1878 along with the location
                > Deersville Ohio.
                >
                > Greg Kopchak
                > It's All Relative

                Peggy:
                Re : Surname Oliphant

                http://rsl.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/rslsql.cgi

                Oliphant 1300 now Scotland> NJ>TN>MO>TX

                Oliphant 1583 1898 SCT>ENG>Oswego,NY

                Oliphant 1648 1841 NY>NJ>KY>IL

                Oliphant 1650 now SCT>NJ>Greene>Rutherford>Dickson>DavidsonCo,TN

                Oliphant 1650 now SCT>NJ>TN>MO>OK>KS

                Oliphant 1685 1900 NJ>PA>MD>OH>IL>MO>CO

                Oliphant 1700 now SCT>Ray,MO
                Oliphant 1700 1900 Scotland, NF,Canada

                more ... ENG and SCT but no Ireland listed