Re: Scranton, Pa

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 26, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., JPasqua342@a... wrote:
      > Hello Group:
      >
      > I need a little help.........I made a contact in Scranton and it may, very
      > well, be a lead to cousins on my maternal grandfather's side of the family,
      > and I haven't been able to get one in 4 years. I called the Priest at St.
      > Mary's Byzantine Church in Scranton and ask for information on a marriage and
      > he "hit the roof" and flatly refused to help me in any way. He said the
      > books were too old to go through and he didn't have time.
      > Any suggestions, or anyone in Scranton to help me?
      > All I need is one marriage or one death record.
      >
      > Thank you all in advance,
      > Joann

      Have translated American Greek Catholic and Russian Orthodox
      church certificates in past but the surname researchers had
      copies.

      http://www.cecs.uofs.edu/stmary.html

      Perhaps a church donation had been expected ?

      Perhaps you can complain to Office of Bishop of Scranton Diocese
      that church states one thing at its Website and yet refuses to help in your search.

      And priest is a Salesian (i.e., SDB)

      http://www.salesianmissions.org/salesians/index.htm

      What was your surname and from what circa or era ?

      Years ago did a great deal of research of 1900/1910 U.S. Census enumeration microfilms for Scranton and townships like Olyphant
      and Throop.

      There also used to be a Genealogical Society for North Eastern PA ?