Scranton, Pa

  • JPasqua342@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 25, 2001
      Hello Group:

      I need a little help.........I made a contact in Scranton and it may, very
      well, be a lead to cousins on my maternal grandfather's side of the family,
      and I haven't been able to get one in 4 years. I called the Priest at St.
      Mary's Byzantine Church in Scranton and ask for information on a marriage and
      he "hit the roof" and flatly refused to help me in any way. He said the
      books were too old to go through and he didn't have time.
      Any suggestions, or anyone in Scranton to help me?
      All I need is one marriage or one death record.

      Thank you all in advance,
      Joann
    • frankur@att.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 26, 2001
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., JPasqua342@a... wrote:
        > Hello Group:
        >
        > I need a little help.........I made a contact in Scranton and it may, very
        > well, be a lead to cousins on my maternal grandfather's side of the family,
        > and I haven't been able to get one in 4 years. I called the Priest at St.
        > Mary's Byzantine Church in Scranton and ask for information on a marriage and
        > he "hit the roof" and flatly refused to help me in any way. He said the
        > books were too old to go through and he didn't have time.
        > Any suggestions, or anyone in Scranton to help me?
        > All I need is one marriage or one death record.
        >
        > Thank you all in advance,
        > Joann

        Have translated American Greek Catholic and Russian Orthodox
        church certificates in past but the surname researchers had
        copies.

        http://www.cecs.uofs.edu/stmary.html

        Perhaps a church donation had been expected ?

        Perhaps you can complain to Office of Bishop of Scranton Diocese
        that church states one thing at its Website and yet refuses to help in your search.

        And priest is a Salesian (i.e., SDB)

        http://www.salesianmissions.org/salesians/index.htm

        What was your surname and from what circa or era ?

        Years ago did a great deal of research of 1900/1910 U.S. Census enumeration microfilms for Scranton and townships like Olyphant
        and Throop.

        There also used to be a Genealogical Society for North Eastern PA ?