Re: [S-R] Digest Number 706

  • Diana Wicker
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 24 3:20 PM
      My grandfather's family was from Szendro, Borsod, Hungary. His grandfather was
      Janos Szemanszki and his father was Josephus Szemanszki. It has been suggested
      to me that these names are not Hungarian but Slovic. Any suggestions on
      tracking that down?

      Diana
    • John
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 25 7:56 PM
        At 06:20 PM 9/24/01 -0400, you wrote:
        >My grandfather's family was from Szendro, Borsod, Hungary. His
        >grandfather was
        >Janos Szemanszki and his father was Josephus Szemanszki. It has been
        >suggested
        >to me that these names are not Hungarian but Slovic. Any suggestions on
        >tracking that down?
        >
        >Diana

        Szendro, is a Hungarian town, which is only about 10 miles south of the
        Slovak border. Borsod is also a town a little farther south but in the
        same area. I agree that the name is Slavic in origin and could be Slovak,
        Polish, and perhaps Russian. I found quite a few Szeman in Kosice and
        Bratislava, major Slovak cities, but no Szemanski or Szemanszki. There are
        about 9 Szemanski listed in US and more Semanski and Semansky. Frank K.
        can probably give you more information on border changes, name origins, and
        the location of Hungarian church and civil records.

        John
      • John
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 25 8:31 PM
          At 06:20 PM 9/24/01 -0400, you wrote:

          Szendro, is a Hungarian town, which is only about 10 miles south of the
          Slovak border. Borsod is also a town a little farther south but in the
          same area.

          Looks like Borsod-Abuj-Zemplen is a county in northeast Hungary and is the
          county Szendro is located in. The Szendro, Borsod probably refers to
          Szendro, Borsod-Abuj-Zemplen county.

          John