Re: [S-R] name translation

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 22, 2001
      My grandmother was named Jola'n. In America she took the name Julia but her
      Slovak family called her Jola'nka. I understand that the name is related to
      the English name Yolanda, also rare. A Hungarian friend told me something
      about the meaning, but I cannot remember what!

      Evidently Hungarian names were popular among Slovaks around the end of the
      19th century -- Jola'n had a sister named Aranka, also a Hungarian name,
      whose name was Americanized to Goldie. It is the same name as the English
      Aurelia, "golden."