Searching for ROST, DORNER, ELLMER, KONRAD, KELLENBERGER, LINZENBOLD

  • Mrs. Judy Hall
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 1999
      Hello All,

      I'm a relative newcomer to genealogy (3 months of limited research) and am
      searching for information (birthdate/date of death/church records/living
      relatives) on three sets of great-grandparents:

      (1) Mihaly ROST and his wife ANNE DORNER, whose son Lawrence ROST (my
      maternal grandfather) was born on 10 August 1888 in Merk, Szatmar Megye,
      Hungary and emigrated to Philadelphia sometime pre-World War I. There were
      other children: one son also emigrated to the US (and sadly was killed by a
      train shortly before the birth of his daughter); one daughter became a nun
      in Hungary. Religion: Roman Catholic

      (2) Frank ELLMER and his wife Marie KONRAD, whose son Paul Frank ELLMER (my
      paternal grandfather) was born on 28 June 1893 in Betschkerek, Torontal
      Megye, Hungary and emigrated to Philadelphia sometime pre-World War I.
      There were other children, whose names (I think) were Frank, Mary, and
      possibly Peter, all of whom also emigrated to the US, though I don't know
      if they came as a family unit. Religion: Roman Catholic. Culture: Banater
      or Donauschwaban (Betschkerek was an area of the Banat ceded by treaty in
      1920 to Yugoslavia; this portion of the Banat still contains a large number
      of ethnic Hungarians and recently came under attack by NATO.) I have
      located a book on microfilm at the LDS FHC about the Elmer/Ellmer/Ellmers
      family in Europe, though I don't have easy access to an FHC near me to
      uitilize the microfilm I could rent because of my work schedule.

      (3) George KELLENBERGER and his wife Vera LINZENBOLD, whose daughter
      Kristina (my maternal grandmother) was born on 5 August 1898 in Hungary (I
      don't know the town or the county because it wasn't listed on the
      "Application for a Social Security Number"). Kirstina emigrated to
      Philadelphia sometime pre-World War I. I am uncertain if Kristina was
      married to Lawrence Rost prior to or soon after emigrating with her sister
      Julia, who was (interestingly enough) married to or soon-to-marry Lawrence
      Rost's brother. (I have always found it interesting that two brothers
      married two sisters.)

      (4) I was very lucky to locate information yesterday evening on my fourth
      set of great-grandparents, John KUZMANN and his wife Barbara VODICKA,
      through the aegis of answering a simple question posted 10 months ago on
      rootsweb. Their daughter Mary KUZMANN (my paternal grandmother) was born on
      5 August 1898, and the family (including her brother Joseph) is said (not
      yet confirmed) to have arrived on the Graf Waldersee in Philadelphia on 1
      June 1913. I connected with a wonderful woman with whom I share a set of
      great-great-grandparents (Josepf and Marie Berin VODICKA), the parents of
      Barbara Vodicka. There are still many questions to be answered, but I am
      enjoying catching up on relatives I never knew existed.

      If you have done research that has led you close to any of my
      great-grandparents or their off-spring, I would love to hear from you.
      Thanks in advance for any comments you might have to guide me in the right
      direction.

      --Judy Hall (nee Ellmer)