Re: [S-R]Social Security Number

  • SantiDClaireS@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2001
      Hi Bruce, Whether a person had a social security number or not depended a lot
      on their age when social security first started. Sometimes the death
      certificate has a social security number on it. If your grandfather died in
      1949 and your grandmother in 1954 that was before social security started
      making an index. That is why on the SSDI there are so many of the people
      born in and around the turn of the century that just say pre 1951. Also a lot
      depended on the job, in the beginning farmers, self employed, military and
      many others were not covered. You can write to Social Security and ask them
      but it is expensive. They raised the price on 1 Jul this year, so I would
      look other places first. Also it depends on what you know about your
      grandparents whether it would be worth it. The application that they send you
      a copy of includes: Name, address at time of application, name of employer if
      employed, name of father, name of mother (maiden name), date of birth of
      applicant, place of birth (but they didn't require more than a country if
      foreign born, I know cause that is why I sent for my uncle's). date of
      application and signature. So if you know all that, its really not worth
      $29.00 just to find a social security number, especially if you are not sure
      they even had one. Regards, Sandy