Re: [S-R] Re: Kraj i Okres

  • Sylvia Ofei-Kwatia
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 6, 2001
      John wrote:

      >Thank you Andrea. I should have asked how is the country divided for
      >political purposes. I'm trying to find out how the system in Slovakia
      >works even though the systems are different since Slovakia has a
      >parliamentary government.

      >How are people elected to the town councils in Slovakia?

      >How are people elected to the okres government?

      >How are the members of the kraj government elected?

      >How are the members of parliament and the ministers and president elected?

      >If this is too much to explain, do you know of someplace on the >Internet
      >that has this information? Thanks.

      >John

      Dear John this might help:

      Legislature

      Slovakia has a single-chamber parliament called the Slovak National Council. The parliament's 150 members are elected to four-year terms by popular vote. All citizens over the age of 18 are eligible to vote in Slovakia

      Local Government

      Slovakia is divided for administrative purposes into 8 regions and 79 districts. The regions are directly subordinate to the federal government, and regional officials are nominated by the federal parliament. Administrative districts are directly subordinate to the regions, and their officials are elected by the people

      I found this information on Encarta encyclopedia. I will try to find the link for you. Hope this helps a little bit.

      Regards

      Sylvia