Re: Csicsva

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 5, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Jo Mulvey" <jm1734@h...> wrote:
      > I wanted to encourage everyone who is searching the Ellis island
      site.
      > Errors do exist,but it is possible to find gold there if one is
      patient. My
      > great Uncle Istvan VRABEL had been a missing person for a long time.
      Today I
      > tried AGAIN- and there he was! His first name had been miss-spelled
      as
      > 'Jstvan'.
      > Now, here is the problem I hope someone can help me with. His
      eresidence
      > was given as 'Csicsva' I tired mapquest and did not find it. Can
      anyone tell
      > me about this villiage?
      >
      > Thank you,
      > Jo

      Sedliská is located 217 miles ENE of Bratislava.
      Vranov nad Topl'ou is located 215 miles ENE of Bratislava.
      Csicsva (C^ic^ava) was located 214 miles ENE of Bratislava.
      C^ic^ava, Slovakia, formerly Csicsóka (H), Zemplén megye,
      Hungary.

      The Magyar letter cs = Slovak diacritic c^ = ch, or = ts.
      The letter cs which is pron. as ts was eliminated in 1910.

      Perhaps there was a consolidation of settlement names ?

      R.C. parish church records (1744-1895) for C^ic^ava are listed
      under Ondavské Matis^ovce.
      G.C. parish church records (1787-1900) are listed under C^ic^ava.
    • Eva Mistrikova
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 5, 2001
        >From: John <jmatsko4@...>
        >To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [S-R] Csicsva
        >Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 18:12:44 -0600
        >
        >At 03:03 PM 9/4/01 -0700, you wrote:
        > > Now, here is the problem I hope someone can help me with. His
        >eresidence
        > >was given as 'Csicsva' I tired mapquest and did not find it. Can anyone
        >tell
        > >me about this villiage?
        > >
        > >Thank you,
        > >Jo
        >
        >I believe it may be Sedliska now. The only listing I could find that was
        >close was Csicsvaalja under Sedliska, Zemplin. It reads Podc^ic^va: 1882
        >Csicsvaalja. Frank K may be able to better interpret the
        >listing. Sedliska is in Eastern Slovakia near Humenne and Vranov nad
        >Toplou. There are listings for Vrabel in both towns but none in
        >Sedliska. There is also a village called Vrable ("le" not "el") about 50
        >miles east of Bratislava that has two Vrabel listed in the online phone
        >directory.
        >
        >John

        John is right. the vilage is now called Sedliska but the name has changed
        few times. Pod�i�va was part of Sedlisk� but the name is not used anymore.
        there is a castle ruin called �i�va and Pod�i�va means just means that the
        village is "under" the castle �i�va. i am not old enough to know but I
        beleive that when your grandad lived the name of the village was the same as
        the name of the castle.
        I hope that I helped you in some ways
        Eva