seaports

  • Okeefe25@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 5, 2001
      Hello Group,
      My question is, Are there any other seaports online to check other than
      ellisisland?
      Also where one might check if families came through Castle Garden.
      Thanks,
      Katherine

    • John
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2001
        At 08:53 AM 9/5/01 -0400, you wrote:
        > Hello Group,
        > My question is, Are there any other seaports online to check other
        > than
        > ellisisland?
        > Also where one might check if families came through Castle Garden.
        > Thanks,
        > Katherine

        I don't know of any other American seaport databases on line but a limited
        number of records are available for German ports and I'm sure not all ships
        used NY ports as entry ports. A good reference document and guide for
        research is "Immigration and Ships Passenger Lists Research Guide":

        http://home.att.net/~arnielang/shipgide.html (one of many available guides)
        Other guides - http://www.kbyu.org/ancestors/records/immigration/extra.html

        If you haven't already, you might try these German online databases:

        Bremen - http://db.genealogy.net/maus/gate/shiplists.cgi (1920-1939)

        Hamburg - http://www.hamburg.de/LinkToYourRoots/english/welcome.htm

        John
      • BobHORGOS@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 5, 2001
          In a message dated 9/5/01 5:57:54 AM, Okeefe25@... writes:

          << My question is, Are there any other seaports online to check other than
          ellisisland? >>

          There is a Web Site that was prepared by Myra Vanderpool Gormley, CG; located
          at http://www.genealogy.com/8_mgpal.html?Welcome=999751002

          This site claims that major indices are available for the ports of Baltimore,
          1820 -1952; Boston 1848 -91, 1902 -20; New Orleans 1853 -1952; Philadelphis
          1800 - 1948, and Minor Ports, 1820 - 74, and 1890 - 1924. Check it out!