Re: [S-R] History of Roznava

  • John
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 4, 2001
      At 04:04 AM 9/5/01 +0000, you wrote:
      >Hi Listers,
      > I am looking for the history of Roznava,Kosicky,Slovakia. I am
      >trying to trace the Benko side of the family. They immigrated to U.S.
      >between 1896 and 1902. I am particulary interested in what Roznava
      >was called during that time. I am having great difficulty with the
      >EIDB as there are so many Benko's with my given names immigrating at
      >that time. Any help is greatly appreciated.
      >
      >Brian

      Roz^n~ava was called Rozsnyo' between 1882 and 1913. I found 6 Benko
      listings in Roz^nava and about 60 in Kosice.

      http://www.region.sk/roznava.html

      http://www.fotw.ca/flags/sk-rozna.html

      http://slovakia.eunet.sk/slovakia/travellers-guide/trips.html

      http://www.photo.net/bp/slovak-FAQ

      http://www.azstarnet.com/~rjp/travel7.htm

      John
    • Andrea Dubekova-Platznerova
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 5, 2001
        Hi Listers,
        I am looking for the history of Roznava,Kosicky,Slovakia.
        Brian

        Just a reminder : I noticed many of you might not fully understand the
        meaning of the second place listed in your records. Like "Kosicky" here. In
        this case Roznava is the town, KOSICE is the district. Slovakia is divided
        in several districts (I don`t now exactly how many right now, the system has
        been changed lately). The district of Koshice is "Kosicky kraj" in Slovak,
        as that of Nitra is "Nitriansky", Zilina "Zilinsky" and so on.
        I hope you got mu point inspite my bad English :-)

        Take care Andrea

      • Andrea Dubekova-Platznerova

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 5, 2001
            At 12:48 PM 9/5/01 +0000, you wrote:
            >in several districts (I don`t now exactly how many right now, the system has
            >been changed lately). The district of Koshice is "Kosicky kraj" in Slovak,
            >as that of Nitra is "Nitriansky", Zilina "Zilinsky" and so on.
            >I hope you got mu point inspite my bad English :-)
            >
            >Take care Andrea

            Andrea,
            It is much better than most of us can do in Slovak. Since the subject of
            kraj and okres comes up frequently, I thought I'd post this for
            reference. Could you tell us what the divisions below okres are? What is
            the smallest division? Our divisions vary with states. Do the
            subdivisions below okres vary depending upon the kraj?

            From:
            http://www.geodesy.gov.sk/kataster/vkm/aktual/Vkmframe.htm

            Okresy podla krajov (the okres within each kraj)

            1. Banskobystrický kraj - Banská Bystrica, Banská Štiavnica, Brezno, Detva,
            Krupina, Lucenec, Poltár, Revúca, Rimavská Sobota, Velký Krtíš, Zvolen,
            Z^arnovica, Z^iar nad Hronom

            2. Bratislavský kraj - Bratislava I, Bratislava II, Bratislava III,
            Bratislava IV, Bratislava V, Malacky, Pezinok, Senec

            3. Košický kraj - Gelnica, Košice I, Košice II, Košice III, Košice IV,
            Košice - okolie, Michalovce
            Roz^nava, Sobrance, Spišská Nová Ves, Trebišov

            4. Nitriansky kraj - Komárno, Levice, Nitra, Nové Zámky, Šala, Topolcany,
            Zlaté Moravce

            5. Prešovský kraj - Bardejov, Humenné, Kez^marok, Levoca, Medzilaborce,
            Poprad, Prešov, Sabinov, Snina, Stará Lubovna, Stropkov, Svidník, Vranov
            nad Toplou

            6. Trenciansky kraj - Bánovce nad Bebravou, Ilava, Myjava, Nové Mesto nad
            Váhom, Partizánske, Povaz^ská Bystrica, Prievidza, Púchov, Trencín

            7. Trnavský kraj - Dunajská Streda, Galanta, Hlohovec, Pieštany, Senica,
            Skalica, Trnava

            8. Z^ilinský kraj - Bytca, Cadca, Dolný Kubín, Kysucké Nové Mesto,
            Liptovský Mikuláš, Martin
            Námestovo, Ruz^omberok, Turcianske Teplice, Tvrdošín, Z^ilina

            John
          • BobHORGOS@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 5, 2001
              In a message dated 9/5/01 4:01:12 AM, ducika33@... writes:

              << I am looking for the history of Roznava,Kosicky,Slovakia.
              Brian >>

              Have you checked the following Web Sites?

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 5, 2001
                In a message dated 9/5/01 5:54:26 AM, ducika33@... writes:

                << Slovakia is divided
                in several districts (I don`t now exactly how many right now, the system has
                been changed lately). >>

                Go to the following Web Site and you will get the following information:
                World Gazetteer Slovak Page: Showing names of Administrative Divisions,
                Alternative Administration Division Names; City/Town/Village Names;
                Administrative Division where located, Alternative Historical Foreign
                Names(s) and Incorporated Places. Clicking on the Place name links to a
                population page plus the Latitude and Longitude.

                http://www.gazetteer.de/a/a_sk.htm
              • Andrea Dubekova-Platznerova
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 5, 2001
                  Great ! Internet is just a little wonder and a big help !
                  As soon as I have more time for this I will check out all the websites all
                  of you mentioned here.
                  A.