Re: Petruska/Petusca

  • SantiDClaireS@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2001
      Hi , I envy all of you that have a town or village to research. So far, all I
      have is Austria-Hungary. Still trying to find one of the family that gave
      more information when filling out forms. I did get a clue today on a marriage
      record for my father's youngest brother. He gave his mother's maiden name as
      PETUSCA. My father and his older brother spelled it PETRUSKA on Social
      Security Applications. I am sending for the actual record and also writing to
      the church where they married hoping for more information. Does the
      alternative spelling help pinpoint any area? Regards, Sandy

    • John
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 4, 2001
        At 06:32 PM 9/4/01 -0400, you wrote:
        >Hi , I envy all of you that have a town or village to research. So far, all I
        >have is Austria-Hungary. Still trying to find one of the family that gave
        >more information when filling out forms. I did get a clue today on a marriage
        >record for my father's youngest brother. He gave his mother's maiden name as
        >PETUSCA. My father and his older brother spelled it PETRUSKA on Social
        >Security Applications. I am sending for the actual record and also writing to
        >the church where they married hoping for more information. Does the
        >alternative spelling help pinpoint any area? Regards, Sandy

        Petrus^ka is pronounced Petrushka. It appears to be more prevalent in
        Eastern Slovakia.

        West - Bratislava 6, Martin 2, Zvolen 1, Banska Bystrica 1, Trencin 1
        East - Kosice 12, Presov 9, Humenne 12, Bardejov 6, Trebisov 2, Michalovce 2

        John
      • iamfreeru@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 4, 2001
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., John <jmatsko4@h...> wrote:
          > At 06:32 PM 9/4/01 -0400, you wrote:
          > >He gave his mother's maiden name as PETUSCA. My father and his
          older brother spelled it PETRUSKA on Social Security Applications.

          > Petrus^ka is pronounced Petrushka. It appears to be more prevalent
          in Eastern Slovakia.

          > West - Bratislava 6, Martin 2, Zvolen 1, Banska Bystrica 1,
          Trencin 1 East - Kosice 12, Presov 9, Humenne 12, Bardejov 6,
          Trebisov 2, Michalovce 2

          I am also researching family name of Petrus^ka originally from
          Bohunice,Nitriansky,Slovakia. My GGF Johan had 4 daughters I know of
          named Anna, Maria, Katerine, and Zuzana. What is your relative's
          given name?

          Brian Dodak