Re: [S-R] Town ? Slovakia

  • John
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2001
      At 12:19 PM 9/4/01 -0400, you wrote:
      >I have been searching various Slovakia maps,and Hungary maps for the town
      >of Johanhutta. This town was on a passenger list as the last residence of
      >Daniel Wolf when he arrived in the USA in 1903. Hope someone can help me
      >out.

      There are several Huta, Hutta in Slovakia but none that I could find that
      came very close to Johanhutta. Huta I was told indicates a smelting
      facility or glassworks. I did go to the EIDB and looked at the original
      ship's manifest to see if I could recognize the town. I must admit that
      being given the name of the town in advance, I could see how they
      transcribed it as they did. I'm not at all certain that the transcription
      is correct. Unfortunately, I'm not very good at reading cursive and
      especially older cursive writing. If you posted the manifest page to the
      Slovak-Roots file area, perhaps others might try to decipher the name of
      the town. The first line under destination appears to be a Pittsburgh
      address. Under destination, it appears the town's name is written
      again. I believe the second line may have the name of his European contact
      followed by the village without a hutta suffix.

      John