Town ? Slovakia

  • Brenda Wolfe
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2001
      I have been searching various Slovakia maps,and Hungary maps for the town of Johanhutta. This town was on a passenger list as the last residence of Daniel Wolf when he arrived in the USA in 1903. Hope someone can help me out.

    • John
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2001
        At 12:19 PM 9/4/01 -0400, you wrote:
        >I have been searching various Slovakia maps,and Hungary maps for the town
        >of Johanhutta. This town was on a passenger list as the last residence of
        >Daniel Wolf when he arrived in the USA in 1903. Hope someone can help me
        >out.

        There are several Huta, Hutta in Slovakia but none that I could find that
        came very close to Johanhutta. Huta I was told indicates a smelting
        facility or glassworks. I did go to the EIDB and looked at the original
        ship's manifest to see if I could recognize the town. I must admit that
        being given the name of the town in advance, I could see how they
        transcribed it as they did. I'm not at all certain that the transcription
        is correct. Unfortunately, I'm not very good at reading cursive and
        especially older cursive writing. If you posted the manifest page to the
        Slovak-Roots file area, perhaps others might try to decipher the name of
        the town. The first line under destination appears to be a Pittsburgh
        address. Under destination, it appears the town's name is written
        again. I believe the second line may have the name of his European contact
        followed by the village without a hutta suffix.

        John