Re: Busich

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., LawFirm Recruiter <recruitingpost@y...>
      wrote:
      > One of the names I am researching is Busich. This
      > name, with this spelling is found in the US from
      > Colonial times onward. However, I am researching Adam
      > Busich of Imotska, b. abt 1880. Immigrated toChicago,
      > Illinois (date unknown).
      > My research of Ship Passenger Lists (Ellis Island) and
      > US Census Records (Chicago) show numerous names close
      > to the name Busich, but very few (almost none) with
      > that spelling. I realize Adam (and many others) did
      > not know read or write English, so the record keepers
      > and census takers wrote down what they heard. What do
      > you think the Croatian spelling of Busich would be?
      > (Iam guessing Bucic.)
      > Also, what would the name Adam be in Croatian?
      > Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.Jolie
      > Blanchard Brown
      > recruitingpost@y... the following
      > surnames in Chicago: Busich
      > (Croatian), Spillar (Hungarian), Sporcic
      > (Croatian),Radosevich (from Zagreb).

      You are researching a Croatian surname at a Slovakia
      Web site ? No matter.
      Am Webmaster Croatia Gen Web and also Slovak.

      Imotski, Croatia is located in the Splitsko region of Croatia at the
      current Bosnia & Herzegovina border.
      The Croatian telephone directory lists under Split z^upanija (county)

      3 surnames Bucic'
      37 surnames Buc^ic'
      1 surname Busic'

      > What do you think the Croatian spelling of Busich
      > would be ? (I am guessing Bucic)

      It would be Bus^ic' especially since 119 surnames Bus^ic'
      are listed under Split county including the 18 listed under
      Imotski, Croatia.
      With Croatian diacritics Bus^ic' is pron. Bushich.

      c' pronounced as " ch " in English word ch-eap.

      c is pronounced as " ts " in English word tse-tse.

      The angular c' is used when c is the last letter in a Croatian
      surname.

      ELlis Island records (1892-1924) list 91 surnames Busic.

      You looked in the 1900/1910/1920 U.S. Census enumeration microfilms
      under Chicago for surname ?
      I lived in Chicago for a time.

      You checked out the Newberry Library ?
      Spent many a day researching there.

      http://www.newberry.org/nl/newberryhome.html

      Don't know Adam as a South Slavic first name ?
      Adam (E)
      Adam/Adamek (Cz)
      Adam (G)
      A'da'm/Adi (H)
      Adam/Adamek (P)
      Adamko (Sk)

      Lawfirm ?

      Croatian probate lawyers charge their clients large sums to find
      surname records.