Re: [S-R] Busich

  • John
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2001
      At 08:13 PM 9/1/01 -0700, you wrote:
      >One of the names I am researching is Busich. This
      >name, with this spelling is found in the US from
      >Colonial times onward. However, I am researching Adam
      >Busich of Imotska, b. abt 1880. Immigrated toChicago,
      >Illinois (date unknown).

      There is a town named Imotski in Croatia 172.9 miles SSE of Zagreb. I'd
      guess the spelling in Croatian would be Busic. I think the "c" is
      pronounced as "ch". Frank K. could provide a much more definitive
      response. Do you know for certain that he arrived through Ellis Island?

      John
    • David Mothkovich
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2001
        If it turns out you are looking for Vusich of Vucic let me know.
        Dave
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2001
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., LawFirm Recruiter <recruitingpost@y...>
          wrote:
          > One of the names I am researching is Busich. This
          > name, with this spelling is found in the US from
          > Colonial times onward. However, I am researching Adam
          > Busich of Imotska, b. abt 1880. Immigrated toChicago,
          > Illinois (date unknown).
          > My research of Ship Passenger Lists (Ellis Island) and
          > US Census Records (Chicago) show numerous names close
          > to the name Busich, but very few (almost none) with
          > that spelling. I realize Adam (and many others) did
          > not know read or write English, so the record keepers
          > and census takers wrote down what they heard. What do
          > you think the Croatian spelling of Busich would be?
          > (Iam guessing Bucic.)
          > Also, what would the name Adam be in Croatian?
          > Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.Jolie
          > Blanchard Brown
          > recruitingpost@y... the following
          > surnames in Chicago: Busich
          > (Croatian), Spillar (Hungarian), Sporcic
          > (Croatian),Radosevich (from Zagreb).

          You are researching a Croatian surname at a Slovakia
          Web site ? No matter.
          Am Webmaster Croatia Gen Web and also Slovak.

          Imotski, Croatia is located in the Splitsko region of Croatia at the
          current Bosnia & Herzegovina border.
          The Croatian telephone directory lists under Split z^upanija (county)

          3 surnames Bucic'
          37 surnames Buc^ic'
          1 surname Busic'

          > What do you think the Croatian spelling of Busich
          > would be ? (I am guessing Bucic)

          It would be Bus^ic' especially since 119 surnames Bus^ic'
          are listed under Split county including the 18 listed under
          Imotski, Croatia.
          With Croatian diacritics Bus^ic' is pron. Bushich.

          c' pronounced as " ch " in English word ch-eap.

          c is pronounced as " ts " in English word tse-tse.

          The angular c' is used when c is the last letter in a Croatian
          surname.

          ELlis Island records (1892-1924) list 91 surnames Busic.

          You looked in the 1900/1910/1920 U.S. Census enumeration microfilms
          under Chicago for surname ?
          I lived in Chicago for a time.

          You checked out the Newberry Library ?
          Spent many a day researching there.

          http://www.newberry.org/nl/newberryhome.html

          Don't know Adam as a South Slavic first name ?
          Adam (E)
          Adam/Adamek (Cz)
          Adam (G)
          A'da'm/Adi (H)
          Adam/Adamek (P)
          Adamko (Sk)

          Lawfirm ?

          Croatian probate lawyers charge their clients large sums to find
          surname records.