Busich

  • LawFirm Recruiter
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1 8:13 PM
      One of the names I am researching is Busich. This
      name, with this spelling is found in the US from
      Colonial times onward. However, I am researching Adam
      Busich of Imotska, b. abt 1880. Immigrated toChicago,
      Illinois (date unknown).
      My research of Ship Passenger Lists (Ellis Island) and
      US Census Records (Chicago) show numerous names close
      to the name Busich, but very few (almost none) with
      that spelling. I realize Adam (and many others) did
      not know read or write English, so the record keepers
      and census takers wrote down what they heard. What do
      you think the Croatian spelling of Busich would be?
      (Iam guessing Bucic.)
      Also, what would the name Adam be in Croatian?
      Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.Jolie
      Blanchard Brown
      recruitingpost@... the following
      surnames in Chicago: Busich
      (Croatian), Spillar (Hungarian), Sporcic
      (Croatian),Radosevich (from Zagreb).

      http://im.yahoo.com
    • John
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1 8:42 PM
        At 08:13 PM 9/1/01 -0700, you wrote:
        >One of the names I am researching is Busich. This
        >name, with this spelling is found in the US from
        >Colonial times onward. However, I am researching Adam
        >Busich of Imotska, b. abt 1880. Immigrated toChicago,
        >Illinois (date unknown).

        There is a town named Imotski in Croatia 172.9 miles SSE of Zagreb. I'd
        guess the spelling in Croatian would be Busic. I think the "c" is
        pronounced as "ch". Frank K. could provide a much more definitive
        response. Do you know for certain that he arrived through Ellis Island?

        John
      • David Mothkovich
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2 7:28 AM
          If it turns out you are looking for Vusich of Vucic let me know.
          Dave
          > One of the names I am researching is Busich. This
          > name, with this spelling is found in the US from
          > Colonial times onward. However, I am researching Adam
          > Busich of Imotska, b. abt 1880. Immigrated toChicago,
          > Illinois (date unknown).
          > My research of Ship Passenger Lists (Ellis Island) and
          > US Census Records (Chicago) show numerous names close
          > to the name Busich, but very few (almost none) with
          > that spelling. I realize Adam (and many others) did
          > not know read or write English, so the record keepers
          > and census takers wrote down what they heard. What do
          > you think the Croatian spelling of Busich would be?
          > (Iam guessing Bucic.)
          > Also, what would the name Adam be in Croatian?
          > Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.Jolie
          > Blanchard Brown
          > recruitingpost@... the following
          > surnames in Chicago: Busich
          > (Croatian), Spillar (Hungarian), Sporcic
          > (Croatian),Radosevich (from Zagreb).

          Messenger

        • frankur@att.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 2 7:34 AM
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., LawFirm Recruiter <recruitingpost@y...>
            wrote:
            > One of the names I am researching is Busich. This
            > name, with this spelling is found in the US from
            > Colonial times onward. However, I am researching Adam
            > Busich of Imotska, b. abt 1880. Immigrated toChicago,
            > Illinois (date unknown).
            > My research of Ship Passenger Lists (Ellis Island) and
            > US Census Records (Chicago) show numerous names close
            > to the name Busich, but very few (almost none) with
            > that spelling. I realize Adam (and many others) did
            > not know read or write English, so the record keepers
            > and census takers wrote down what they heard. What do
            > you think the Croatian spelling of Busich would be?
            > (Iam guessing Bucic.)
            > Also, what would the name Adam be in Croatian?
            > Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.Jolie
            > Blanchard Brown
            > recruitingpost@y... the following
            > surnames in Chicago: Busich
            > (Croatian), Spillar (Hungarian), Sporcic
            > (Croatian),Radosevich (from Zagreb).

            You are researching a Croatian surname at a Slovakia
            Web site ? No matter.
            Am Webmaster Croatia Gen Web and also Slovak.

            Imotski, Croatia is located in the Splitsko region of Croatia at the
            current Bosnia & Herzegovina border.
            The Croatian telephone directory lists under Split z^upanija (county)

            3 surnames Bucic'
            37 surnames Buc^ic'
            1 surname Busic'

            > What do you think the Croatian spelling of Busich
            > would be ? (I am guessing Bucic)

            It would be Bus^ic' especially since 119 surnames Bus^ic'
            are listed under Split county including the 18 listed under
            Imotski, Croatia.
            With Croatian diacritics Bus^ic' is pron. Bushich.

            c' pronounced as " ch " in English word ch-eap.

            c is pronounced as " ts " in English word tse-tse.

            The angular c' is used when c is the last letter in a Croatian
            surname.

            ELlis Island records (1892-1924) list 91 surnames Busic.

            You looked in the 1900/1910/1920 U.S. Census enumeration microfilms
            under Chicago for surname ?
            I lived in Chicago for a time.

            You checked out the Newberry Library ?
            Spent many a day researching there.

            http://www.newberry.org/nl/newberryhome.html

            Don't know Adam as a South Slavic first name ?
            Adam (E)
            Adam/Adamek (Cz)
            Adam (G)
            A'da'm/Adi (H)
            Adam/Adamek (P)
            Adamko (Sk)

            Lawfirm ?

            Croatian probate lawyers charge their clients large sums to find
            surname records.