Re: [S-R] Church records

  • Sylvia Ofei-Kwatia
    Message 1 of 41 , Sep 1, 2001
      on 1st September Saturday John wrote:

      <Interesting. I wonder how many dvere (doors) in a dvor (court, <courtyard,
      <yard) in other words, I wonder how many homes there were in a dvor. <It
      <would be interesting to find out the divisions below kraj and okres. <I saw
      <a map of the subdivisions of one okres somewhere but there was no
      <explanation of how these were arrived at. As I recall they appeared <to be
      <larger than just the area around a village. I was just getting used <to
      <double surnames such as Choma Cmar, Choma Macko which I think was used <to
      <distinguish ancestral lineage and now it appears that surnames could <be
      <changed just by moving to another part of the village. Could drive a
      <genealogist (at least a novice like myself) daft.

      <http://www.geodesy.gov.sk/kataster/vkm/aktual/BA-Malacky.htm

      <Just found the map showing the subdivisions of the Malacky okres. It
      <appears the subdivisions could be municipalities. The names can be
      <associated with towns in the okres. It looks as if the municipalities <could
      <encompass smaller villages. Anyone know the current divisions below
      <municipalities (if that's what they call them)?

      <John>

      I come from Malacky.

      Slovakia is divided like this"

      Three Kraj (county) Z�padoslovensk� (western-slovakian), Stredoslovensk� (middle-slovakian) and V�chodoslovensk� (eastern-slovakian).

      About two years ago there were only 11 okres (district) but some of them were so big that people had to travel to far to official offices that the goverment decided to split them in smaller okres (e.g. Malacky belonged to Bratislava-vidiek okres). They made it easier for people to sort out the offical business (e.g. go to district hospital). Nowadays there is a lot of okres in Slovakia. I am not sure how many.

      Malacky okres, where Malacky is capital of the district, manages all the small towns and villages around. Small vilages - dedina are e.g. Lozorno, Jakubov. The smaller subdivision of Malacky okres are called kataster (land-registry). For example, kataster called Obora is not a village but woods which belong to Slovakian army.

      I hope this was a bit of help.

      Regards

      Sylvia

    • Bernardine Weigand
      Message 41 of 41 , Sep 2, 2001
        "Mine" is the Cierne Pole which is very close to the Ukraine border. I thought it translated to Black Field. However, I did not know that another meaning for "Pole" is boundary. So, that does make sense, as I believe it is about 8 km from the border. Perhaps it's both. My ancestors were farmers and horse traders and I think the farmland was very rich and dark.

        Hopefully we shall be visiting the village again this year while on our up-coming trip.