Re: [S-R] Church records

  • Milan Huba
    Message 1 of 41 , Sep 1, 2001
      Hi John:

      Size of Dvor: In Luzna, as I recall, the dvors were all relatively small.
      I never counted the houses in any dvor and to tell you the truth, the
      boundaries between the dvors, at least in my mind, were kind of vague. Some
      dvors that I was familiar with had as few as 6 small two room houses, others
      were obviously larger, how large I don't know. Now I too am curious and
      will write one of my cousins in Luzna and ask about this.

      Hyphenated Names: You made reference to double or hyphenated names. What
      do you know about them? In Luzna, my family was known as Huba-Maliniak.
      When my dad came to America, he dropped the Maliniak and became just plain
      Huba. In doing so, he saved his children, grandchildren and
      great-grandchildren the tedious chore of signing a relatively long
      hyphenated name. In my humble opinion, the name Huba without the Maliniak
      attachment is just as sweet.

      Incidentally, another Huba family in the village was called Huba-Kurpas or
      something else like that.

      Malacky: The map of Malacky okress was particularly interesting to me
      because my mother's family comes from that area. I visited many of those
      villages shown on the map on several occasions. I once knew what those
      small subdivisions were called, but now the name escapes me. I will write
      my cousin in Slovakia and ask him for clarification.

      By the way, do you know when information about the Malacky area will be on
      the LDS website?

      Milan Huba

      Message 41 of 41 , Sep 2, 2001
        "Mine" is the Cierne Pole which is very close to the Ukraine border. I thought it translated to Black Field. However, I did not know that another meaning for "Pole" is boundary. So, that does make sense, as I believe it is about 8 km from the border. Perhaps it's both. My ancestors were farmers and horse traders and I think the farmland was very rich and dark.

        Hopefully we shall be visiting the village again this year while on our up-coming trip.