Re: [S-R] Church records

  • Milan Huba
    Message 1 of 41 , Sep 1, 2001
      Konec means "the end". Konechny (or Konecny, Slovak spelling) would be a
      variation of the word "end". My Slovak is rusty but I would use konec in
      the context "the end of the road" and konecny in context "finished or
      final". Perhaps someone who is more fluent in Slovak can elaborate further.

      My father's ancestral village, Luzna, was subdivided into about 50 to 75
      smaller areas called "dvors". (I would say that a dvor would be roughly
      equivalent to a "ward" in a large America city like Chicago.) Years ago in
      some villages families informally acquired surnames by the "dvor" in which
      they lived. Each dvor had a name, like the "Banas dvor", the "Valusiak
      dvor", the "Huba dvor" etc. When people moved from one dvor into another,
      which didn't happen that often, but it did happen, they would over a period
      of time acquire the dvor name as their new surname. Thus when my second
      great-grandfather Jan Zajac built a home in the Banas dvor, after awhile he
      became known as Jan od Banas, or Jan from the Banas dvor. Later when he had
      children, they were all baptized as Banas's.

      The reason for this story is that it is quite possible that your grandmother
      's family lived in a dvor which was at the end of the village.and thus
      acquired their name.

      Message 41 of 41 , Sep 2, 2001
        "Mine" is the Cierne Pole which is very close to the Ukraine border. I thought it translated to Black Field. However, I did not know that another meaning for "Pole" is boundary. So, that does make sense, as I believe it is about 8 km from the border. Perhaps it's both. My ancestors were farmers and horse traders and I think the farmland was very rich and dark.

        Hopefully we shall be visiting the village again this year while on our up-coming trip.