Re: [S-R] Church records

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 41 , Sep 1, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Milan Huba" <illy@f...> wrote:
      > Wow!
      >
      > I lived with my grandparents in Luzna when I was a little boy. At
      that
      > time, nobody had electricity, much less a telephone. I didn't
      realize that
      > there were any Huba's left in Luzna...other than those quietly
      residing in
      > the cemetery.
      >
      > I will be visiting Luzna in October. I'll try to locate some of
      these Huba'
      > s, but I am relatively sure that I am not related to any of them.
      When I
      > was a boy, I remember there was another Huba family living in the
      lower end
      > of town (nizny konec). My grandmother assured me that we were not
      related
      > to them; although we apparently were related to just about every
      other
      > family in Luzna.
      >
      > My mother's family comes from another town called Vysoka pri Morave
      > (formerly called Hochstetno, Hochstadt and Magasfalu). This is a
      little
      > town on the Slovak side of the Morave river about 20 kilometers from
      Vienna.
      > Do you have any idea where I where I can get historical information
      about
      > this town?
      >
      > Once again, I want to thank you for your help
      >
      > Milan Huba

      The LDS-Mormons filmed the R.C. matriky (1787-1895) for Liptovská
      Lúz^na, Slovakia, formerly Luzsna (H), Liptó megye (county), Hungary.
      Text in Latin and Hungarian.

      film #
      1983122
      1983123

      Originals are at the regional Slovak Archives at Bytc^a where the LDS
      is just finishing filming records.

      Next comes the main Bratislava Archives where filming will probably
      take LDS another 2-3 years.

      Vysoká pri Morave is located 164 miles SE of Praha in Slovakia.
      Hochstetno in Czech ? Hochstadt in German (meaning high town)
      In Magyar its name was Nagymagasfalu (meaning big + top +
      ville (village)
      The LDS-Mormons didn't film the R.C. matriky (1648-1895) for Vysoká
      pri Morave as yet because these are under the Bratislava Archives.
      But, R.C. parish church records (1648-1895) do exist for Vysoká pri
      Morave.
      Probably written in Latin, Hungarian, and German ?

      So you will need to write the the Main Archives (Archív hlavného
      mesta Bratislavy) to research your surname records.
      Their narrative research report will be written in Slovak, not
      English.
      If you don't know Slovak you would need to get their research report
      translated.

      There are three different rates.
      Clerical, the cheapest, the basic research, and the most difficult,
      the more expensive.
      They will do research you request then send you a bill which you must
      pay before they send the information.

      Slovak State Archives URLs

      http://www.netway.at/ihff/c.htm

      http://www.slovak.com/genealogy/adresy_na_slovensku.html

      Huba means mouth or mushroom in Slovak.
    • Bernardine Weigand
      Message 41 of 41 , Sep 2, 2001
        "Mine" is the Cierne Pole which is very close to the Ukraine border. I thought it translated to Black Field. However, I did not know that another meaning for "Pole" is boundary. So, that does make sense, as I believe it is about 8 km from the border. Perhaps it's both. My ancestors were farmers and horse traders and I think the farmland was very rich and dark.

        Hopefully we shall be visiting the village again this year while on our up-coming trip.