Re: [S-R] Catholic Church

  • John
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31 2:21 PM
      At 02:48 PM 8/31/01 -0400, you wrote:
      >Hello Listers,
      >Can anyone tell me if there was more than one Catholic Church in Hasprunka,
      >Slovakia around 1884-1900? Also could anyone tell me where I could write
      >today for parish records from that time frame? I would appreciate any help I
      >could get. Thank you
      >Kathy
      >e-mail: k3018@...

      Hasprunka is now named Studienka and, to the best of my knowledge, the
      parish records are in Studienka. I haven't been able to determine if the
      LDS have microfilmed the village church registers yet. I don't think
      so. I don't think there was more than one Catholic church there. Since it
      is in far Western Slovakia, I doubt if there would be a Greek Catholic
      church there. It appears to be a small village about 40 miles north of
      Bratislava. You would write to:

      Rimskokatolicky Farsky Úrad
      908 75 Studienka
      Slovak Republic
      034/7782190 - phone

      You might try the SKR phone directory for surnames of interest.

      John
    • Michael Zuchick
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 31 2:29 PM
        In Christ Kathy,

        In Slovakia the Churchs you would most likely find at
        the turn of the Century would be either Russian
        Orthodox, Greek Orthodox or Greek Katholic.. Not sure
        but I would say that if you have Church Documents
        written in Latin then I would look for Greek Katholic
        Churchs, if in Slovonic the I would be looking for an
        Orthodox Church, most likely Russian Orthodox. The
        Carpathian-Rus.. Church my grandparents attended when
        coming to the US was Greek Katholic until the Church
        became Greek Katholic Orthodox which for me is too
        confusing to explain..

        Mike Zuchick (Mikhail (Barna) Kozubchik)

        http://im.yahoo.com