Re: [S-R] Church records

  • RMH
    Message 1 of 41 , Aug 31, 2001
      Couldn't help but notice the term "nizny konec". Since one of my
      grandmother's had the maiden name, not an uncommon one, of Konechny, I'm
      wondering about the meaning of the word "konec"?

      Regina Haring
      Nanuet, NY
      http://www.dutchdoorgenealogy.com

      Message 41 of 41 , Sep 2, 2001
        "Mine" is the Cierne Pole which is very close to the Ukraine border. I thought it translated to Black Field. However, I did not know that another meaning for "Pole" is boundary. So, that does make sense, as I believe it is about 8 km from the border. Perhaps it's both. My ancestors were farmers and horse traders and I think the farmland was very rich and dark.

        Hopefully we shall be visiting the village again this year while on our up-coming trip.