RE: [S-R] Help with a Slovak name.

  • Gregory J. Kopchak
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 29, 2001
      Spis County in Slovakia.

      Greg Kopchak
      It's All Relative

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Caye Caswick [mailto:ccaswick@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2001 10:40 AM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [S-R] Help with a Slovak name.

      Hello All:

      Question, would anyone be able to figure out what this
      possibly means:

      Speska zupa

      It is phonetically spelled, so probably full of typos.
      Apparently it is a geographical term, not sure if it
      is a town, city, region, county, etc. Also, if you
      can figure it out -- what's the current term/spelling.
      Appreciate whatever comes back, including the
      humorous wize cracks, love 'em. Thanks!

      Caye

      --- Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

      > Youstinka, bwa ha ha ha ha ha. Love the humor, keep
      > it coming!
      >
      > Caye
      >

      > --- John <jmatsko4@...> wrote:
      > > At 10:43 PM 8/27/01 -0400, you wrote:
      > > >Does anyone know if there is a Slovak name for
      > > Justine?
      > > >Thanks,
      > > >Alison
      > >
      > > English - Justin Czech - Justin, Justyn Polish
      > -
      > > Justek,
      > > Justyn, Russian - Ustin, Ustym, Ustym
      > > No Slovak equivalent shown in this table.
      > >
      > > English - Justina Slovak - Justinka (not to
      > > flattering if you pronounce
      > > it in Slovak, it would sound like Youstinka)
      > >
      > > John

      > with Yahoo! Messenger
      > http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 29, 2001
        Yep, exactly what I thought the first time I read it.
        Thanks for the laugh.

        Caye

        --- qt41059@... wrote:
        > It sounds like some kind of soup to me!

        > removed]

        http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
      • Caye Caswick
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 29, 2001
          Thank you Greg, I knew someone would know -- not
          surprised, I think I've heard the reference before.

          Caye

          http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
        • Andrea Vangor
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 29, 2001
            Spis~ka Zupa. Spis~ County (diacritical mark over the final s to prnounce
            sh). Northern county in eastern Slovakia. In Hungarian, Szepes Megye (?).

            > Question, would anyone be able to figure out what this
            > possibly means:
            >
            > Speska zupa
            >
            > It is phonetically spelled, so probably full of typos.
            > Apparently it is a geographical term, not sure if it
            > is a town, city, region, county, etc. Also, if you
            > can figure it out -- what's the current term/spelling.
            > Appreciate whatever comes back, including the
            > humorous wize cracks, love 'em. Thanks!
            >
            > Caye
            >

            > --- Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Youstinka, bwa ha ha ha ha ha. Love the humor, keep
            > > it coming!
            > >
            > > Caye
            > >

            > > --- John <jmatsko4@...> wrote:
            > > > Justine?
            > > >
            > > > English - Justin Czech - Justin, Justyn Polish
            > > -
            > > > Justek,
            > > > Justyn, Russian - Ustin, Ustym, Ustym
            > > > No Slovak equivalent shown in this table.
            > > >
            > > > English - Justina Slovak - Justinka (not to
            > > > flattering if you pronounce
            > > > it in Slovak, it would sound like Youstinka)
            > > >
            > > > John

            > > Make international calls for as low as $.04/minute
            > > with Yahoo! Messenger
            > > http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

          • Caye Caswick
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 29, 2001
              That hasta be it; two confirmations now. Thanks
              everyone!

              Caye