RE: [S-R] Help with a Slovak name.

  • Gregory J. Kopchak
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 29, 2001
      Spis County in Slovakia.

      Greg Kopchak
      It's All Relative

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Caye Caswick [mailto:ccaswick@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2001 10:40 AM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [S-R] Help with a Slovak name.

      Hello All:

      Question, would anyone be able to figure out what this
      possibly means:

      Speska zupa

      It is phonetically spelled, so probably full of typos.
      Apparently it is a geographical term, not sure if it
      is a town, city, region, county, etc. Also, if you
      can figure it out -- what's the current term/spelling.
      Appreciate whatever comes back, including the
      humorous wize cracks, love 'em. Thanks!

      Caye

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 29, 2001
        It sounds like some kind of soup to me!

      • Caye Caswick
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 29, 2001
          Yep, exactly what I thought the first time I read it.
          Thanks for the laugh.

          Caye

          --- qt41059@... wrote:
          > It sounds like some kind of soup to me!

          > removed]

          http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 29, 2001
            Thank you Greg, I knew someone would know -- not
            surprised, I think I've heard the reference before.

            Caye

            http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
          • Andrea Vangor
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 29, 2001
              Spis~ka Zupa. Spis~ County (diacritical mark over the final s to prnounce
              sh). Northern county in eastern Slovakia. In Hungarian, Szepes Megye (?).

              > Question, would anyone be able to figure out what this
              > possibly means:
              >
              > Speska zupa
              >
              > It is phonetically spelled, so probably full of typos.
              > Apparently it is a geographical term, not sure if it
              > is a town, city, region, county, etc. Also, if you
              > can figure it out -- what's the current term/spelling.
              > Appreciate whatever comes back, including the
              > humorous wize cracks, love 'em. Thanks!
              >
              > Caye
              >

              > --- Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Youstinka, bwa ha ha ha ha ha. Love the humor, keep
              > > it coming!
              > >
              > > Caye
              > >

              > > --- John <jmatsko4@...> wrote:
              > > > Justine?
              > > >
              > > > English - Justin Czech - Justin, Justyn Polish
              > > -
              > > > Justek,
              > > > Justyn, Russian - Ustin, Ustym, Ustym
              > > > No Slovak equivalent shown in this table.
              > > >
              > > > English - Justina Slovak - Justinka (not to
              > > > flattering if you pronounce
              > > > it in Slovak, it would sound like Youstinka)
              > > >
              > > > John

              > > Make international calls for as low as $.04/minute
              > > with Yahoo! Messenger
              > > http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

            • Caye Caswick
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 29, 2001
                That hasta be it; two confirmations now. Thanks
                everyone!

                Caye