Re: [S-R] Help with a Slovak name.

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 29, 2001
      Hello All:

      Question, would anyone be able to figure out what this
      possibly means:

      Speska zupa

      It is phonetically spelled, so probably full of typos.
      Apparently it is a geographical term, not sure if it
      is a town, city, region, county, etc. Also, if you
      can figure it out -- what's the current term/spelling.
      Appreciate whatever comes back, including the
      humorous wize cracks, love 'em. Thanks!

      Caye

      --- Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

      > Youstinka, bwa ha ha ha ha ha. Love the humor, keep
      > it coming!
      >
      > Caye
      >

      > --- John <jmatsko4@...> wrote:
      > > At 10:43 PM 8/27/01 -0400, you wrote:
      > > >Does anyone know if there is a Slovak name for
      > > Justine?
      > > >Thanks,
      > > >Alison
      > >
      > > English - Justin Czech - Justin, Justyn Polish
      > -
      > > Justek,
      > > Justyn, Russian - Ustin, Ustym, Ustym
      > > No Slovak equivalent shown in this table.
      > >
      > > English - Justina Slovak - Justinka (not to
      > > flattering if you pronounce
      > > it in Slovak, it would sound like Youstinka)
      > >
      > > John

      > with Yahoo! Messenger
      > http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

      http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
    • Gregory J. Kopchak
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 29, 2001
        Spis County in Slovakia.

        Greg Kopchak
        It's All Relative

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 29, 2001
          It sounds like some kind of soup to me!

        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 29, 2001
            Yep, exactly what I thought the first time I read it.
            Thanks for the laugh.

            Caye

            --- qt41059@... wrote:
            > It sounds like some kind of soup to me!

            > removed]

            http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
          • Caye Caswick
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 29, 2001
              Thank you Greg, I knew someone would know -- not
              surprised, I think I've heard the reference before.

              Caye

              http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
            • Andrea Vangor
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 29, 2001
                Spis~ka Zupa. Spis~ County (diacritical mark over the final s to prnounce
                sh). Northern county in eastern Slovakia. In Hungarian, Szepes Megye (?).

                > Question, would anyone be able to figure out what this
                > possibly means:
                >
                > Speska zupa
                >
                > It is phonetically spelled, so probably full of typos.
                > Apparently it is a geographical term, not sure if it
                > is a town, city, region, county, etc. Also, if you
                > can figure it out -- what's the current term/spelling.
                > Appreciate whatever comes back, including the
                > humorous wize cracks, love 'em. Thanks!
                >
                > Caye
                >

                > --- Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Youstinka, bwa ha ha ha ha ha. Love the humor, keep
                > > it coming!
                > >
                > > Caye
                > >

                > > --- John <jmatsko4@...> wrote:
                > > > Justine?
                > > >
                > > > English - Justin Czech - Justin, Justyn Polish
                > > -
                > > > Justek,
                > > > Justyn, Russian - Ustin, Ustym, Ustym
                > > > No Slovak equivalent shown in this table.
                > > >
                > > > English - Justina Slovak - Justinka (not to
                > > > flattering if you pronounce
                > > > it in Slovak, it would sound like Youstinka)
                > > >
                > > > John

                > > Make international calls for as low as $.04/minute
                > > with Yahoo! Messenger
                > > http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

              • Caye Caswick
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 29, 2001
                  That hasta be it; two confirmations now. Thanks
                  everyone!

                  Caye