Re: Ukraine or Slovak? Greek catholic records in roman catholic archi ves

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 28, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Monyak, Stephanie" <monyaksl@m...> wrote:
      > Anyone have any info on this city:
      >
      > Mukacevo- was this city always part of the Ukraine or might it have
      been
      > part of something else in the late 1870s?
      >
      > the birth record for my g aunt from 1905 was obtained from a
      catholic
      > archive-but it was a Greek catholic birth/baptism.
      >
      > I am going to try and write requesting birth or marriage records for
      my
      > great grandparents. The years would have been 1875 for birth and
      > 18905-1900??? for marriage I realize that I may never hear back
      from them-
      > not to mention translating my English into whatever language I need
      to will
      > probably be tedious.
      >
      > this is the address I will be sending my request to:
      >

      > State Archive of Transcarpathia Region
      > Ukraina
      > 294018, Uzhhorod
      > vul. Minaiska, 14a
      > Derzhavnyi arkhiv Zakarpatskoi oblasti
      >
      > Would there be a translating tool availble anywhere? Plus even if I
      > translate word for word-there would still be grammatical rules to
      follow I
      > assume.

      You can't translate into Ukrainian Cyrillic alphabet using a Latin
      alphabet and characters.
      Need Ukrainian keyboard and fonts.

      R K C || P A B |/| ? Ukrainian (Cyrillic)

      yah k s p r á v ee ? (How are you ? )

      Mukac^evo (Sk) Munkács (H) was part of Hungary 10th c to 1919.
      Part of Czechoslovakia 1920-1938.
      Part of Soviet Union 1945-1991.
      Part of Ukraine 1991 - present.

      The area of today's Karpatho-Ukraine was part of the Kingdom of
      Hungary from the 10th century to 1919, and formed the counties,
      comitatus in Latin, which was the legal language of
      administration until 1844, Komitat or Gespannschaft in German,
      megye in Magyar), of Ung,(capital Ungvár), Bereg (Beregszasz),
      U-gocsa (Nagy-Szállos), and Máramaros (Marmaros-Szighet).
      They did not form a special administrative area during Hungarian
      rule.

      After peace treaty (1920) the newly formed country of Czechoslovakia
      was formed from Bohemia, Moravia, and Austrian-Silesia and Slovakia
      and Karpatho-Ukraine.

      The larger part, with an area of 12,600 km or 5,400 sq. miles, was
      annexed by the newly created Czechoslovak Republic, or CSR, a
      smaller part of Marmaros Komitat by Romania.
      Both countries gave cities and villages new official names.

      The parts taken by the CSR were organized into the province of
      Podkarpatska Rus, divided into four Z^upy (Uz^horod, Mukac^evo,
      Berehovo, Marmaros^) whose boundaries followed roughly the old
      Komitat boundaries.The county capitals were Uz^horod, (Ungvár),
      Berehova, (Beregszasz), Mukac^evo (Munkács, German Munkatsch),
      while the new capital of Czech Marmaros was Chust
      (Huszt), since Máramarossziget was now the capital of Rumanian
      Marmaros under the name of Sighetul Marmariei.

      In 1945, Czechoslovakia was restored back to its pre-Munich borders,
      less Subcarpathian Rus' which the Soviet Union kept.
      (The Allies stripped Hungary of all its post-Munich acquisitions and
      returned the country to its Trianon (1920) boundaries)
      The Karpatho-Ukraine was annexed in June 1945 by the Soviet Union.
      Since 1991, it is part of the independent Republic Ukraine.

      http://www.catholic-pages.com/dioceses/ukraine.htm

      http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=board&r=rw&p=localities.eeurope.
      ukraine.zakarpatska