Re: Intro and Q. re: GARANY, Hungary

  • Amfield@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 14, 1999
      Hi Alan,

      All I know so far is that Elizabeth (Errsebet?) TOMKO REKTORIK lived in
      Garany, Hungary, in 1912. I don't know where her family, TOMKO, came from yet.

      This is exciting!
      Anita

    • daveydad@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 11 , May 22, 2001
        There was a town named GARAN (today called HRAN) in the SE Corner of
        Slovakia 7 miles SSE of Trebisov.
        People from GARAN could have been recorded at Ellis Island as being
        from GARANY.
        Good Luck+
        Dave

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Amfield@... wrote:
        > Hello everyone,
        >
        > I am brand new to this list, and almost as brand new to searching
        for my
        > Slovakian roots. That's because I was adopted and just last
        December
        found my
        > birth family. My birthmother and all of her family (on both sides)
        are
        > Slovaks.
        >
        > I began my research by trying to find out where my grandfather
        came
        from. As
        > an adoptee, I have been used to searching "forwards," but now I'm
        looking
        > "backwards," and it's so much fun.
        >
        > My family name is REHTORIK. It was also spelled Rechtorik, and
        originally
        > Rektorik. My grandfather's name was Andras Rektorik. His brother,
        Mike
        > Rektorik, lived and died in PA, while my grandfather, Andy, came to
        Gary, IN,
        > where he settled. He had two children, my birthmother, Margaret
        Mary, and a
        > son, Andrew.
        >
        > My grandfather married Anna MAYERSKY in Gary. Her parents
        originally
        came
        > from McKeesport, PA, but were born in Austria/Hungary. Their names
        were
        > Martin (Michael) MAYERSKY and Mary Slivka MAYERSKY. (It's also been
        spelled
        > Majersky and Majerski)
        >
        > I am thrilled to say I found my grandfather, ANDRAS REKTORIK, on
        the
        > passenger ship list of the SS Prinz Fredr. Wilhelm, arriving in NY
        on Feb.
        > 20, 1912. I have two questions:
        >
        > 1)On the manifest, my grandfather's place of birth is listed as
        Hungary,
        > GARGANY.
        > Other possible spellings were Garany, Garauy, Girany. Can't find
        this name
        > anywhere! Does anyone have any ideas or know about it?
        >
        > 2) Also on the manifest is my great grandmother's name, ERRSEBET
        RECKTORIK.