Re: Intro and Q. re: GARANY, Hungary

  • Alan ANTOSKA
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 14, 1999
      --- Amfield@... wrote:
      > (gently snipped)
      My grandfather's brother, Mike Rehtorik, died in PA -
      however there were two
      > around the same time period. But I have the death
      > certificate for the Mike I
      > thought was the right one, and BINGO. His mother's
      > name was Elizabeth Tomko.
      >
      > Anita

      Ahoj Anita,
      You just turned on a light bulb.
      The name "Tomko" is widespread in Slovakia (& the USA)
      and also appears in my family, which comes from the
      two adjoining villages of Ziar & Smrecany in
      Lipto/Liptov/Liptovsky Mikulas county in Northern
      Slovakia.
      Would you know where/what village your Elizabeth Tomko
      is from? Thanks.
      ===
      May a kind Providence prosper your efforts.
      Regards / ciao / S pozdravom,

      Alan

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 14, 1999
        Hi Alan,

        All I know so far is that Elizabeth (Errsebet?) TOMKO REKTORIK lived in
        Garany, Hungary, in 1912. I don't know where her family, TOMKO, came from yet.

        This is exciting!
        Anita

      • daveydad@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 11 , May 22, 2001
          There was a town named GARAN (today called HRAN) in the SE Corner of
          Slovakia 7 miles SSE of Trebisov.
          People from GARAN could have been recorded at Ellis Island as being
          from GARANY.
          Good Luck+
          Dave

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Amfield@... wrote:
          > Hello everyone,
          >
          > I am brand new to this list, and almost as brand new to searching
          for my
          > Slovakian roots. That's because I was adopted and just last
          December
          found my
          > birth family. My birthmother and all of her family (on both sides)
          are
          > Slovaks.
          >
          > I began my research by trying to find out where my grandfather
          came
          from. As
          > an adoptee, I have been used to searching "forwards," but now I'm
          looking
          > "backwards," and it's so much fun.
          >
          > My family name is REHTORIK. It was also spelled Rechtorik, and
          originally
          > Rektorik. My grandfather's name was Andras Rektorik. His brother,
          Mike
          > Rektorik, lived and died in PA, while my grandfather, Andy, came to
          Gary, IN,
          > where he settled. He had two children, my birthmother, Margaret
          Mary, and a
          > son, Andrew.
          >
          > My grandfather married Anna MAYERSKY in Gary. Her parents
          originally
          came
          > from McKeesport, PA, but were born in Austria/Hungary. Their names
          were
          > Martin (Michael) MAYERSKY and Mary Slivka MAYERSKY. (It's also been
          spelled
          > Majersky and Majerski)
          >
          > I am thrilled to say I found my grandfather, ANDRAS REKTORIK, on
          the
          > passenger ship list of the SS Prinz Fredr. Wilhelm, arriving in NY
          on Feb.
          > 20, 1912. I have two questions:
          >
          > 1)On the manifest, my grandfather's place of birth is listed as
          Hungary,
          > GARGANY.
          > Other possible spellings were Garany, Garauy, Girany. Can't find
          this name
          > anywhere! Does anyone have any ideas or know about it?
          >
          > 2) Also on the manifest is my great grandmother's name, ERRSEBET
          RECKTORIK.