Tirpak,/ Yakim settled in Monessen, PA

  • nglover@naxs.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 24 6:24 PM
      I am new to this egroup and have enjoyed reading the information
      posted... I am also new to researching genealogy.
      My grandparents came from Austia Hungary (though I am having a time
      trying to find exactly where they moved from!) and settled in
      Monessen, PA, My grandmother was a Tirpak before she married. My
      grandfather was a Yakim, though, there again, the spelling for his
      name is throwing me (possibly "yakima" "jakim"?). Any ideas for
      where I may want to begin? I have written to the church in Monessen
      where they married to see if there might be some information there.
      I also believe that I have located the ship's record from my
      grandmother's (Tirpak) journey to the United States on the Ellis
      Island data base. My aunt maintains that her mother was from a place
      pronouced "Zemplinski" but I can not seem to locate such a place on
      any maps that I have consulted. Any help or suggestions would be very
      much appreciated. Thanks, Nancy Yakim-Glover
    • frankur@att.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 25 3:05 AM
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., nglover@n... wrote:
        > I am new to this egroup and have enjoyed reading the information
        > posted... I am also new to researching genealogy.
        > My grandparents came from Austia Hungary (though I am having a time
        > trying to find exactly where they moved from!) and settled in
        > Monessen, PA, My grandmother was a Tirpak before she married. My
        > grandfather was a Yakim, though, there again, the spelling for his
        > name is throwing me (possibly "yakima" "jakim"?). Any ideas for
        > where I may want to begin? I have written to the church in Monessen
        > where they married to see if there might be some information there.

        > I also believe that I have located the ship's record from my
        > grandmother's (Tirpak) journey to the United States on the Ellis
        > Island data base. My aunt maintains that her mother was from a place
        > pronouced "Zemplinski" but I can not seem to locate such a place on
        > any maps that I have consulted. Any help or suggestions would be
        very
        > much appreciated. Thanks, Nancy Yakim-Glover

        Don't know your specific surnames.

        In Hungarian and most Slavic languages the letter J is pron. Y.
        Surname Jakim could be Hungarian, Slovak, Polish, Turkish, or
        even South Slavic (Balkans) ethnicity.

        Before WW I, Slovakia was part of Upper Hungary (Felvidék) and
        part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire (1867-1918) and earlier a
        part of Hungary under the Austrian Empire.
        Hungarian names were used for towns and counties.
        After WW I the Hungarian place names were changed to Slovak names.

        Zemplén megye (county) was eastern-most old Hungarian administrative
        unit in Upper-Hungary (now Slovakia)
        After WW I peace treaty (1920) and pre-1923 it was as called Zemplin
        z^upa/stolice (county) in Slovak.

        Zemplinska/Zemplinske/Zemplinsky is Slovak gender grammatical form.
        A number of villages located in Zemplin county used these prefixes.

        For example, Barancs (H) = Zemplinsky Branc^ (Sk)

        You probably have name of surname region of origin , now you need name
        of a specific village of the surname origin ?

        289 surname Tirpak were listed in the Ellis Island data base.
        Which one was your GM ?
      • John
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 25 9:09 PM
          At 01:24 AM 8/25/01 +0000, you wrote:
          >I am new to this egroup and have enjoyed reading the information
          >posted... I am also new to researching genealogy.
          >My grandparents came from Austia Hungary (though I am having a time
          >trying to find exactly where they moved from!) and settled in
          >Monessen, PA, My grandmother was a Tirpak before she married.

          Using the online SK directory and searching towns in Eastern Slovakia
          (Upper Hungary) where Zemplen was located I found:

          Dobroslav Tirpák Obchodná , Secovce
          Ján Tirpák Dargovských hrdinov , Secovce
          Mária Tirpáková Rybníková , Secovce
          Mária Tirpáková Nová , Secovská Polianka
          Michal Tirpák Klinceková , Secovce
          Michal Tirpák Pribinova , Secovce
          Michal Tirpák Nám.Cerv.armády , Secovce

          Anna Tirpáková Kutnohorská , Trebišov
          Katarína Tirpáková Lúcna , Trebišov
          Mária Tirpáková Ul.1.decembra , Trebišov
          Renáta Tirpáková Berehovská , Trebišov
          Slávka Tirpáková Komenského , Trebišov
          Valentín Tirpák Komenského , Trebišov

          Alexander Tirpak Ostravská , Košice
          Anna Tirpáková Irkutská , Košice
          Dana Tirpáková Alvinczyho , Košice
          František Tirpák Slovenská , Košice
          Imrich Tirpák Kuzmányho , Košice
          Ing. Ivan Tirpák kpt.Nálepku , Košice
          Ing. MikulᚠTirpák Klimkovicova , Košice
          Ján Tirpák Benadova , Košice
          Ján Tirpák Gerlachovská , Košice
          Ján Tirpák Irkutská , Košice
          Jaromír Tirpák Exnárova , Košice
          Jirina Tirpáková Sokolovská , Košice
          Jozef Tirpák Fábryho , Košice
          Jozef Tirpák Ludová , Košice
          Jozef Tirpák Fibichova , Košice
          Judita Tirpáková Hemerkova , Košice
          Ladislav Tirpák Irkutská , Košice
          Luboš Tirpák Bencúrova , Košice
          Mária Tirpáková Jegorovovo nám. , Košice
          Mária Tirpáková Pšenicná , Košice

          >grandfather was a Yakim, though, there again, the spelling for his
          >name is throwing me (possibly "yakima" "jakim"?). Any ideas for
          >where I may want to begin?

          I found these in Trebis^ov and Kosice in Eastern Slovakia.

          Andrej Jakim Pribinova , Trebišov
          Anna Jakimová Paricovská , Trebišov
          Ing. Peter Jakim Ternavská , Trebišov
          MUDr. Monika Jakimová Rastislavova , Trebišov

          Dušan Jakim Branisková , Košice
          Ing. Dana Jakimová Adlerova , Košice
          Liliya Jakimová Viedenská , Košice

          Dušan Jakim Obchodná , Secovce

          pronouced "Zemplinski" but I can not seem to locate such a place on
          >any maps that I have consulted. Any help or suggestions would be very
          >much appreciated. Thanks, Nancy Yakim-Glover

          As Frank has mentioned, the reference was to Zemplen County:

          http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/zemplen.jpg

          John

        • Marc Nuber
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 26 9:05 PM
            --- nglover@... schrieb: > I am new to this
            egroup and have enjoyed reading the
            > information
            > posted... I am also new to researching genealogy.
            > My grandparents came from Austia Hungary (though I
            > am having a time
            > trying to find exactly where they moved from!) and
            > settled in
            > Monessen, PA, My grandmother was a Tirpak before
            > she married. My
            > grandfather was a Yakim, though, there again, the
            > spelling for his
            > name is throwing me (possibly "yakima" "jakim"?).
            > Any ideas for
            > where I may want to begin? I have written to the
            > church in Monessen
            > where they married to see if there might be some
            > information there.
            > I also believe that I have located the ship's record
            > from my
            > grandmother's (Tirpak) journey to the United States
            > on the Ellis
            > Island data base. My aunt maintains that her mother
            > was from a place
            > pronouced "Zemplinski" but I can not seem to locate
            > such a place on
            > any maps that I have consulted. Any help or
            > suggestions would be very
            > much appreciated. Thanks, Nancy Yakim-Glover

          • Monyak, Stephanie
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 27 5:24 AM
              Nancy,
              Hi I am in south west Pa. near Monesson-I believe you could check the
              Washingotn County Courthouse register to see if they have their marriage
              application there. Call 724-228-6775-they will give you the address and may
              even be so kind as to look up the rrecord for you. If not for a fee you can
              mail your request to them.
              They may have even applied for naturalization there-someone might be nice
              enough to check that for you too.