Re: Intro and Q. re: GARANY, Hungary

  • Amfield@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 13 4:41 PM
      In a message dated 9/13/99 6:17:53 PM, averostko@... writes:

      >From: Andy Verostko <averostko@...>

      Hi Andy,

      (gently snipped)

      Thanks for all the good info, Andy. I have been to the Family History Center,
      which is where I ordered the microfilm with the passenger lists. I'm very
      fortunate to live in the Chicago area because I can get to the Newberry
      Library - which is a gold mine!

      Newberry has lots and lots of info on Lake County, IN.

      I did receive the marriage applications (1918) and certificate for my
      grandparents - from Lake County, IN. But when I showed it to my half-sisters,
      they immediately exclaimed that the handwriting was NOT their grandparents.
      And they also pointed out a glaring error in my grandmother's birthdate. It
      looks as if some clerk probably took the information orally, and recorded it
      haphazardly. I'm not sure just how much English either of my grandparents
      spoke at that time, but again, according to my half-sisters - not too much.

      >Evsebet, (Hungarian)� Alzbeta, (Slovak) = Elizabeth.Please remember that
      >Hungarian was the Language and name forms

      Upon a second look, my great grandmother's name was definitely Evsebet.
      Thanks so much, because this confirms another family member for me. My
      grandfather's brother, Mike Rehtorik, died in PA - however there were two
      around the same time period. But I have the death certificate for the Mike I
      thought was the right one, and BINGO. His mother's name was Elizabeth Tomko.

      Anita
    • Alan ANTOSKA
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 14 5:31 AM
        --- Amfield@... wrote:
        > (gently snipped)
        My grandfather's brother, Mike Rehtorik, died in PA -
        however there were two
        > around the same time period. But I have the death
        > certificate for the Mike I
        > thought was the right one, and BINGO. His mother's
        > name was Elizabeth Tomko.
        >
        > Anita

        Ahoj Anita,
        You just turned on a light bulb.
        The name "Tomko" is widespread in Slovakia (& the USA)
        and also appears in my family, which comes from the
        two adjoining villages of Ziar & Smrecany in
        Lipto/Liptov/Liptovsky Mikulas county in Northern
        Slovakia.
        Would you know where/what village your Elizabeth Tomko
        is from? Thanks.
        ===
        May a kind Providence prosper your efforts.
        Regards / ciao / S pozdravom,

        Alan

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 14 7:20 AM
          Hi Alan,

          All I know so far is that Elizabeth (Errsebet?) TOMKO REKTORIK lived in
          Garany, Hungary, in 1912. I don't know where her family, TOMKO, came from yet.

          This is exciting!
          Anita

        • daveydad@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 11 , May 22, 2001
            There was a town named GARAN (today called HRAN) in the SE Corner of
            Slovakia 7 miles SSE of Trebisov.
            People from GARAN could have been recorded at Ellis Island as being
            from GARANY.
            Good Luck+
            Dave

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Amfield@... wrote:
            > Hello everyone,
            >
            > I am brand new to this list, and almost as brand new to searching
            for my
            > Slovakian roots. That's because I was adopted and just last
            December
            found my
            > birth family. My birthmother and all of her family (on both sides)
            are
            > Slovaks.
            >
            > I began my research by trying to find out where my grandfather
            came
            from. As
            > an adoptee, I have been used to searching "forwards," but now I'm
            looking
            > "backwards," and it's so much fun.
            >
            > My family name is REHTORIK. It was also spelled Rechtorik, and
            originally
            > Rektorik. My grandfather's name was Andras Rektorik. His brother,
            Mike
            > Rektorik, lived and died in PA, while my grandfather, Andy, came to
            Gary, IN,
            > where he settled. He had two children, my birthmother, Margaret
            Mary, and a
            > son, Andrew.
            >
            > My grandfather married Anna MAYERSKY in Gary. Her parents
            originally
            came
            > from McKeesport, PA, but were born in Austria/Hungary. Their names
            were
            > Martin (Michael) MAYERSKY and Mary Slivka MAYERSKY. (It's also been
            spelled
            > Majersky and Majerski)
            >
            > I am thrilled to say I found my grandfather, ANDRAS REKTORIK, on
            the
            > passenger ship list of the SS Prinz Fredr. Wilhelm, arriving in NY
            on Feb.
            > 20, 1912. I have two questions:
            >
            > 1)On the manifest, my grandfather's place of birth is listed as
            Hungary,
            > GARGANY.
            > Other possible spellings were Garany, Garauy, Girany. Can't find
            this name
            > anywhere! Does anyone have any ideas or know about it?
            >
            > 2) Also on the manifest is my great grandmother's name, ERRSEBET
            RECKTORIK.