Re: Intro and Q. re: GARANY, Hungary

  • Amfield@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 13, 1999
      Thanks, Cathy and Mark!!!

      In a message dated 9/13/99 11:37:39 AM, Ylbrd@... writes:

      >Try putting that village in to this and see what comes up then SAVE this
      >site
      >I use it often JewishGen
      >ShtetlSeeker - Town Search
      >Cathy Ambrisko Mullenix

      Thanks so much, Cathy. What a wonderful site - for sure a saver! I first
      entered Gargany, but got no matches. Then I entered Garany and found a town
      in the Ukraine, not too far from Slovakia.

      Thought I had it down pat, until I went back to my email and received Mark's
      post.

      Mark Jesko found me a town called GAJANY near Bratislava. Thanks a million,
      Mark.

      Now I have to decide which one is which. My instinct tells me it would be
      Gajany.

      I'm off to scrutinize the passenger list once again.

      Thanks to all on this wonderful list.
      Anita
    • Amfield@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 13, 1999
        In a message dated 9/13/99 6:17:53 PM, averostko@... writes:

        >From: Andy Verostko <averostko@...>

        Hi Andy,

        (gently snipped)

        Thanks for all the good info, Andy. I have been to the Family History Center,
        which is where I ordered the microfilm with the passenger lists. I'm very
        fortunate to live in the Chicago area because I can get to the Newberry
        Library - which is a gold mine!

        Newberry has lots and lots of info on Lake County, IN.

        I did receive the marriage applications (1918) and certificate for my
        grandparents - from Lake County, IN. But when I showed it to my half-sisters,
        they immediately exclaimed that the handwriting was NOT their grandparents.
        And they also pointed out a glaring error in my grandmother's birthdate. It
        looks as if some clerk probably took the information orally, and recorded it
        haphazardly. I'm not sure just how much English either of my grandparents
        spoke at that time, but again, according to my half-sisters - not too much.

        >Evsebet, (Hungarian)� Alzbeta, (Slovak) = Elizabeth.Please remember that
        >Hungarian was the Language and name forms

        Upon a second look, my great grandmother's name was definitely Evsebet.
        Thanks so much, because this confirms another family member for me. My
        grandfather's brother, Mike Rehtorik, died in PA - however there were two
        around the same time period. But I have the death certificate for the Mike I
        thought was the right one, and BINGO. His mother's name was Elizabeth Tomko.

        Anita
      • Alan ANTOSKA
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 14, 1999
          --- Amfield@... wrote:
          > (gently snipped)
          My grandfather's brother, Mike Rehtorik, died in PA -
          however there were two
          > around the same time period. But I have the death
          > certificate for the Mike I
          > thought was the right one, and BINGO. His mother's
          > name was Elizabeth Tomko.
          >
          > Anita

          Ahoj Anita,
          You just turned on a light bulb.
          The name "Tomko" is widespread in Slovakia (& the USA)
          and also appears in my family, which comes from the
          two adjoining villages of Ziar & Smrecany in
          Lipto/Liptov/Liptovsky Mikulas county in Northern
          Slovakia.
          Would you know where/what village your Elizabeth Tomko
          is from? Thanks.
          ===
          May a kind Providence prosper your efforts.
          Regards / ciao / S pozdravom,

          Alan

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 14, 1999
            Hi Alan,

            All I know so far is that Elizabeth (Errsebet?) TOMKO REKTORIK lived in
            Garany, Hungary, in 1912. I don't know where her family, TOMKO, came from yet.

            This is exciting!
            Anita

          • daveydad@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 11 , May 22, 2001
              There was a town named GARAN (today called HRAN) in the SE Corner of
              Slovakia 7 miles SSE of Trebisov.
              People from GARAN could have been recorded at Ellis Island as being
              from GARANY.
              Good Luck+
              Dave

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Amfield@... wrote:
              > Hello everyone,
              >
              > I am brand new to this list, and almost as brand new to searching
              for my
              > Slovakian roots. That's because I was adopted and just last
              December
              found my
              > birth family. My birthmother and all of her family (on both sides)
              are
              > Slovaks.
              >
              > I began my research by trying to find out where my grandfather
              came
              from. As
              > an adoptee, I have been used to searching "forwards," but now I'm
              looking
              > "backwards," and it's so much fun.
              >
              > My family name is REHTORIK. It was also spelled Rechtorik, and
              originally
              > Rektorik. My grandfather's name was Andras Rektorik. His brother,
              Mike
              > Rektorik, lived and died in PA, while my grandfather, Andy, came to
              Gary, IN,
              > where he settled. He had two children, my birthmother, Margaret
              Mary, and a
              > son, Andrew.
              >
              > My grandfather married Anna MAYERSKY in Gary. Her parents
              originally
              came
              > from McKeesport, PA, but were born in Austria/Hungary. Their names
              were
              > Martin (Michael) MAYERSKY and Mary Slivka MAYERSKY. (It's also been
              spelled
              > Majersky and Majerski)
              >
              > I am thrilled to say I found my grandfather, ANDRAS REKTORIK, on
              the
              > passenger ship list of the SS Prinz Fredr. Wilhelm, arriving in NY
              on Feb.
              > 20, 1912. I have two questions:
              >
              > 1)On the manifest, my grandfather's place of birth is listed as
              Hungary,
              > GARGANY.
              > Other possible spellings were Garany, Garauy, Girany. Can't find
              this name
              > anywhere! Does anyone have any ideas or know about it?
              >
              > 2) Also on the manifest is my great grandmother's name, ERRSEBET
              RECKTORIK.