Re: Films

  • sabinov@xxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 1999
      Hi Jenny, and welcome to the list!

      I think the answer to your question depends on what kind of microfilm
      you are using.... Church records are divided into baptisms, marriages
      and deaths, and you can usually scan the surnames and surname columns of
      parents and sponsors fairly quickly. I haven't gotten to the 1828
      Hungarian census yet, so I can't speak to that series.

      I bought a book two years ago called "Handy Guide to Hungarian
      Genealogical Records" by Jared Suess.... it was only about $8 then and I
      think I got it from Genealogy Publishing Company. It has all the
      translations of the headings of columns, common words in the records
      etc. I'd recommend it to anyone.

      In my case with the Sabinov records, some years were in Hungarian, some
      in Latin. Using the book and a Latin book I developed my own "cheat
      sheet" of words and phrases.

      The other thing that helps me is when I do those records that is the
      _only_ thing I do that visit, I get my brain used to reading it in the
      other language and don't switch back to English. You'd be surprised how
      quickly you can adjust to it, even if you don't speak the language.

      If this doesn't speak to your questions on using film, write again and
      hopefully someone can help you.

      Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
      sabinov@...
      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching