New also + surnames

  • Anne Kenworthy
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 13, 1999
      I am also new to this list, but not to genealogy.
      These are some of my surnames.

      Princz, Mychal/Michael born 1879 Satoraljaujhely,
      Hungary , emigrated to Dayton Ohio in 1904. His
      wife, Mary Szedlovic(h), Sedloweicz, Zedlovitz,
      Sedlovicz, etc was born in 1881 Ungvar, Hungary,
      now Uzhhorod, Ukraine.
      His brother Jozsef Princz b 1864 Hummene,
      emigrated to the states in 1897, also Dayton Ohio.

      His wife Julianna Maslej was born in Saros,
      (Slovakia?)
      Also on my fathers side is Varvasovszki,
      Czeczilia. I do not know where she was born, but
      she lived in Fejer Megye, Hungary.

      I have searched the records for Zemplen Megye, and

      was unable to find my Princz's. Anyone have any
      suggestions?

      Thanks.
      Anne Kenworthy
    • MJESKO@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 13, 1999
        Hi Anne

        Some suggestions, well, one thought is that these are the Hungarian
        names of villages that may be part of Slovakia or Western Ukraine now.

        For example, SAROS is the Hungarian name for SARIS, one of the largest
        counties in Eastern Slovakia. Humenne is still Humenne but Zemplin Megye
        is Hungarian. Today it would Zemplin something or may have changed
        altogether. BTW, ZEMPLIN is the neighboring county to SARIS. It borders
        Ukriane, Hummenne is in ZEMPLIN county.

        I am also using the term "COUNTY" instead the Slovak word term "ZUPA"
        because it's easier to relate to for most Americans.

        Hope this helps a bit.

        Happy hunting!

        "TRADITION is the JOYFUL memory of a people!"
      • Amfield@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 13, 1999
          Hi again, Mark,

          This helps a lot!!!! I had been wondering about an abbreviation on the
          passenger list - used many times. It looks like either Zpa or Zpe. Is this
          "Zupa?"

          >I am also using the term "COUNTY" instead the Slovak word term "ZUPA"
          >because it's easier to relate to for most Americans.

          Who would have ever thought both history and geography (what they called it
          back in my day) could be so fascinating, so interesting, and so much fun!

          Thanks!
          Anita