Re: What next?

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 5, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Linmarie1@a... wrote:
      > > I have been looking for my grandmother KATARINA
      > URUBEL, on Ellis Island.
      > Tried every spelling I could think of plus all the
      > spellings through the
      > site. I have not had any luck what-so-ever. Anyone have
      > any suggestions? I
      > understand she came over in 1906.
      > > Thanks for any ideas,
      > > Linda
      >
      > I May Have Found Her:
      >
      > Katarina Wrobel
      > Hungary, Slovak
      > Sztropko, Hungary
      > 17y
      > Brandenburg
      > Bremen, Germany
      >
      > Checked ShtetlSeeker and found no SZTROPKO in Hungary or
      > Ukraine (where I was
      > told she was from)
      > But I did get a hit for Slovakia, exact spelling and
      > all, 219.0 miles ENE of
      > Bratislava. Is this close enough that it would have been
      > considered Ukraine
      > then?
      > Age 1 year different, I understood she was born in 1888.
      > Could be right??
      > Any way of going about finding if this could be MY
      > Grandmother?
      > I am so excited that I finally have what might be her,
      > any help PLEASE-PLEASE
      > write.
      > Thank you, Linda

      Urubel does not appear to be a Slovak or Hungarian surname.

      Wrobel would be a German surname, unless the German ship personnel
      changed spelling of a name in the manifest (which they have been known
      to do)

      The German telephone directory lists 500 + surname Wrobel.

      In Hungarian the letter Sz is pron. like letter s in English word
      sell.
      In Hungarian and Slovak the letter w (pron. v) is used only in foreign
      words and surnames.
      In German and Polish the letter w is pron. v.

      What was surname religion ?

      The LDS-Mormons have filmed the R.C. matriky (1700-1895) for
      Stropkov, Slovakia; formerly Sztropkó, Zemplén megye, Hungary.
      Text in Latin and Hungarian.

      film #
      1793901
      1793859
      1793860
      1793891

      Also G.C. church records (1819-1897) which might point to a Ruthenian
      ethnicity and the Ukraine ?

      Family History Center (FHC) worldwide.

      LDS - Mormon FHCs - LOCATIONS

    • catimura@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6, 2001
        Wrobel also may have polish connections; my uncle is polish,
        and the named was originally wrobeleski. Given the changes in
        borders between Poland and its neighbors, you might look to
        towns now in the present-day polish borders.
        Cathy Timura,
        Researching TIMURA, OHAR, VASIL, STARINSKY