Re: What next?

  • Linmarie1@att.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2001
      > I have been looking for my grandmother KATARINA
      URUBEL, on Ellis Island.
      Tried every spelling I could think of plus all the
      spellings through the
      site. I have not had any luck what-so-ever. Anyone have
      any suggestions? I
      understand she came over in 1906.
      > Thanks for any ideas,
      > Linda

      I May Have Found Her:

      Katarina Wrobel
      Hungary, Slovak
      Sztropko, Hungary
      17y
      Brandenburg
      Bremen, Germany

      Checked ShtetlSeeker and found no SZTROPKO in Hungary or
      Ukraine (where I was
      told she was from)
      But I did get a hit for Slovakia, exact spelling and
      all, 219.0 miles ENE of
      Bratislava. Is this close enough that it would have been
      considered Ukraine
      then?
      Age 1 year different, I understood she was born in 1888.
      Could be right??
      Any way of going about finding if this could be MY
      Grandmother?
      I am so excited that I finally have what might be her,
      any help PLEASE-PLEASE
      write.
      Thank you, Linda
    • frankur@att.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5, 2001
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Linmarie1@a... wrote:
        > > I have been looking for my grandmother KATARINA
        > URUBEL, on Ellis Island.
        > Tried every spelling I could think of plus all the
        > spellings through the
        > site. I have not had any luck what-so-ever. Anyone have
        > any suggestions? I
        > understand she came over in 1906.
        > > Thanks for any ideas,
        > > Linda
        >
        > I May Have Found Her:
        >
        > Katarina Wrobel
        > Hungary, Slovak
        > Sztropko, Hungary
        > 17y
        > Brandenburg
        > Bremen, Germany
        >
        > Checked ShtetlSeeker and found no SZTROPKO in Hungary or
        > Ukraine (where I was
        > told she was from)
        > But I did get a hit for Slovakia, exact spelling and
        > all, 219.0 miles ENE of
        > Bratislava. Is this close enough that it would have been
        > considered Ukraine
        > then?
        > Age 1 year different, I understood she was born in 1888.
        > Could be right??
        > Any way of going about finding if this could be MY
        > Grandmother?
        > I am so excited that I finally have what might be her,
        > any help PLEASE-PLEASE
        > write.
        > Thank you, Linda

        Urubel does not appear to be a Slovak or Hungarian surname.

        Wrobel would be a German surname, unless the German ship personnel
        changed spelling of a name in the manifest (which they have been known
        to do)

        The German telephone directory lists 500 + surname Wrobel.

        In Hungarian the letter Sz is pron. like letter s in English word
        sell.
        In Hungarian and Slovak the letter w (pron. v) is used only in foreign
        words and surnames.
        In German and Polish the letter w is pron. v.

        What was surname religion ?

        The LDS-Mormons have filmed the R.C. matriky (1700-1895) for
        Stropkov, Slovakia; formerly Sztropkó, Zemplén megye, Hungary.
        Text in Latin and Hungarian.

        film #
        1793901
        1793859
        1793860
        1793891

        Also G.C. church records (1819-1897) which might point to a Ruthenian
        ethnicity and the Ukraine ?

        Family History Center (FHC) worldwide.

        LDS - Mormon FHCs - LOCATIONS

      • catimura@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 6, 2001
          Wrobel also may have polish connections; my uncle is polish,
          and the named was originally wrobeleski. Given the changes in
          borders between Poland and its neighbors, you might look to
          towns now in the present-day polish borders.
          Cathy Timura,
          Researching TIMURA, OHAR, VASIL, STARINSKY