Re: What next?

  • Linmarie1@att.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4 8:03 PM
      > I have been looking for my grandmother KATARINA
      URUBEL, on Ellis Island.
      Tried every spelling I could think of plus all the
      spellings through the
      site. I have not had any luck what-so-ever. Anyone have
      any suggestions? I
      understand she came over in 1906.
      > Thanks for any ideas,
      > Linda

      I May Have Found Her:

      Katarina Wrobel
      Hungary, Slovak
      Sztropko, Hungary
      17y
      Brandenburg
      Bremen, Germany

      Checked ShtetlSeeker and found no SZTROPKO in Hungary or
      Ukraine (where I was
      told she was from)
      But I did get a hit for Slovakia, exact spelling and
      all, 219.0 miles ENE of
      Bratislava. Is this close enough that it would have been
      considered Ukraine
      then?
      Age 1 year different, I understood she was born in 1888.
      Could be right??
      Any way of going about finding if this could be MY
      Grandmother?
      I am so excited that I finally have what might be her,
      any help PLEASE-PLEASE
      write.
      Thank you, Linda
    • Linmarie1@att.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4 8:03 PM

      • frankur@att.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 5 8:38 AM
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Linmarie1@a... wrote:
          > > I have been looking for my grandmother KATARINA
          > URUBEL, on Ellis Island.
          > Tried every spelling I could think of plus all the
          > spellings through the
          > site. I have not had any luck what-so-ever. Anyone have
          > any suggestions? I
          > understand she came over in 1906.
          > > Thanks for any ideas,
          > > Linda
          >
          > I May Have Found Her:
          >
          > Katarina Wrobel
          > Hungary, Slovak
          > Sztropko, Hungary
          > 17y
          > Brandenburg
          > Bremen, Germany
          >
          > Checked ShtetlSeeker and found no SZTROPKO in Hungary or
          > Ukraine (where I was
          > told she was from)
          > But I did get a hit for Slovakia, exact spelling and
          > all, 219.0 miles ENE of
          > Bratislava. Is this close enough that it would have been
          > considered Ukraine
          > then?
          > Age 1 year different, I understood she was born in 1888.
          > Could be right??
          > Any way of going about finding if this could be MY
          > Grandmother?
          > I am so excited that I finally have what might be her,
          > any help PLEASE-PLEASE
          > write.
          > Thank you, Linda

          Urubel does not appear to be a Slovak or Hungarian surname.

          Wrobel would be a German surname, unless the German ship personnel
          changed spelling of a name in the manifest (which they have been known
          to do)

          The German telephone directory lists 500 + surname Wrobel.

          In Hungarian the letter Sz is pron. like letter s in English word
          sell.
          In Hungarian and Slovak the letter w (pron. v) is used only in foreign
          words and surnames.
          In German and Polish the letter w is pron. v.

          What was surname religion ?

          The LDS-Mormons have filmed the R.C. matriky (1700-1895) for
          Stropkov, Slovakia; formerly Sztropkó, Zemplén megye, Hungary.
          Text in Latin and Hungarian.

          film #
          1793901
          1793859
          1793860
          1793891

          Also G.C. church records (1819-1897) which might point to a Ruthenian
          ethnicity and the Ukraine ?

          Family History Center (FHC) worldwide.

          LDS - Mormon FHCs - LOCATIONS

        • catimura@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 6 9:12 AM
            Wrobel also may have polish connections; my uncle is polish,
            and the named was originally wrobeleski. Given the changes in
            borders between Poland and its neighbors, you might look to
            towns now in the present-day polish borders.
            Cathy Timura,
            Researching TIMURA, OHAR, VASIL, STARINSKY